Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbcrash

Aquarium Advice Activist
Oranda bacterial gill disease.

Any ideas what is wrong with my oranda? Could be bacterial gill disease.

image-3237000378.jpg

I'm so mad at my oranda Goldie. He's a big baby. He's always at the top or near a filter. He is orange and his wen is half white. I been feeding him pro gold.

Do you have an internal filter, then? What size tank, what's the stock, water change scheduled, and water parameters?

2 emperor 400s and a Fluval 405. Power heads, bubblers, live plants. 75 gallon rectangle. Ammonia is always .25. Nitrite is 0 nitrate is 10. Ph is 7.4. Temp mid 70s. I have a 5 inch oranda 5 inch white fantail calico fantail. A small common a small lionhead another oranda and a 5 inch shubunkin. I can't feed em flakes. Too messy. I feed em daphnia, frozen krill frozen blood worms, romaine lettuce seaweed from omega. Lionhead and oranda pellets from hikari for wen growth. I have a variety of foods. I vacuum gravel and change water once a week and more if needed.

Its not bacterial. He has gill deformities which have been caused by either flukes or poor water quality or combination of both. As your tanks are heavily overstocked, your water change schedule is minimal and your having chronic health issues with your fish, its likely the combination of water quality issues and flukes that have resulted in this. Once fluke damage has occurred, it can not be undone. Addressing your stocking issues, increasing your wcs and treating fluke issues (praziquantel 5mg/l for atleast 4wks) will help to limit future problems.

7 fish in a 75 is not over stocked. I have 8 in the other 75. Il figure it out

Yes, its prazi but I do not know the percent of active ingredient. Your looking to dose 5mg/l. A course needs to be atleast 4 weeks with big wcs before redosing. This will not 'cure' the gill damage he already has- the damage as the result of water quality issues, stunting and flukes is not reversible but treating all of your goldfish with prazi for a full course will address any future fluke issues. All your goldfish need to be treated for a full course, not just the one with obvious damage, or you will be reinfesting everyone on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom