Oranda Injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanOz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Oranda was attacked on Sunday by the fish he was kept with in our pond (koi and a red cap). He lost his entire wen, his left fin and his right eye. His left eye has remained intact, but not fully. He's since been moved into his own tank and is receiving antibiotics and seems to be doing very well. He swims and eats normally, and even has started chewing on his new plant. However, over the last 3 days his remaining eye has started filming over and protruding upwards. I absolutely do NOT want to euthanize if I don't have to, but I'm worried that his eye may be dying and could infect his body. Should I attempt to remove it? Leave him on his med-regiment and let it heal/decay as it will?
His wen has already started to regrow/heal and he uses his left stump-fin normally, if you didn't notice the physical injuries, he acts like a normal fish. What is the best way I can help this guy? I really just want what's best for him. Thank you.

I opted not to post pictures because it's pretty awful, but I can if needed.

**Pics posted on 6th post

With a fish and an injury like this personally, I would seeing if there is a vet in your area that may be able to help him.
Sorry i can't offer other information or suggestions

Vet

There aren't any vets in the area who will even look at a fish, and I imagine a 2+ hr car trip would only make him feel worse. Closest thing I can do is call up the local fish stores, and they didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I have found in the past that a forum of 'nonexperts' tend to be more helpful than the vet (on several occasions). Thank you, though, Mitch, I appreciate your time.

What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings of the tank? Don't worry about the photos being gross we really need to see what's going on with his eye. Can you post some pictures?

I agree with Mumma- pics (along with tank parameters) will help to determine the extent of his injury. What type of meds are you using right now? Do you mind if I ask what country you reside in so we can make further recommendations as well?

By the sounds of his behavior (active and eating despite everything), he has a very positive prognosis even if his appearance may not be prettiest fish on the block! He will not be able to go back into the pond but he certainly can live a happy full life by himself indoors. :)

I'll go retest the water right now and try and take some pictures. For being 'blind' he sure doesn't have problems moving around!

Also, last night he started having black show up on his left fin-stump, the wen on his forehead, and the very tip of his dorsal fin, at the back. (again, I will try my best to get some pictures). I know goldfish can change pigment, but I also know that sometimes it can be the black cell-clusters.

I'm using Melafix right now. As long as my fish are happy, I try not to mess around too much with chems and such. He's got a filter, but the carbon has been removed... I'll get some pics... :B

oranda sick

try getting in touch with goldfish connection he deals with fancy goldfish imported from japan he is very good

1st is tank. I read that blind fish are best with little to no decor. He does seem to like the plant though. He becomes very stressed when I turn the filter off and the water becomes still. I'm sure he's learned to use it as a gauge to know where he is in the tank. When I turned it off to take the pictures he immediately sank to the bottom and looked stressed. I turned it on and he perked right up.

**Tested the water, Nitrate levels were great. The water is hard and the pH is around 8, but I live in Orlando (Florida) and that's kind of unavoidable. The pond levels tested similar, so not sure if he's used to it, since I've prepared the water the same way for the last year I've had them.

Attachments

• 2013-03-15_13-03-14_947.jpg
    2013-03-15_13-03-14_947.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN1233.jpg
    DSCN1233.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 2013-03-15_13-02-25_830.jpg
    2013-03-15_13-02-25_830.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-03-15_13-04-23_130.jpg
    2013-03-15_13-04-23_130.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
How do the ammonia levels look in the tank? What type of meds are you presently using? I would suggest a course of MediGold to deal with infection as well as a daily methylene blue bath to limit fungus and bacteria externally. There are quite a few aquatic vets in Fl if this an option you want to consider. For now, keep his water perfect along with a good diet to help aid healing. Keep us posted!

I've got the Melafix antibiotic and a fungal treatment, which I haven't started yet, but will do so now. I don't have an ammonia tester, but I have some ammonia remover I can add anyway.
I've been doing a 1/4 water change in accordance with the antibiotic's instructions.
He had a very small Oranda (about 1.5") for a tankmate, but I removed him so I can start adding the other medications/chems.

He's in a 10g (it's my emergency tank), but I don't think I'll move him into a bigger tank (unless he survives and grows larger) because he seems very happy with his set up.
This tank has a waterfall filter (Unlike the fountain in the pond) and he loves swimming against the current.

Thank you SO much for the input, I really appreciate this info!
And it's good to hear that things aren't looking so bleak for my little guy :)

Aww, poor little guy! I've never had to deal with these problems, so I'll just be here rootin' for you two :)
I do know that goldfish are very hardy, and I've seen them survive crazy stuff like this. He'll just be your little Nemo :)

Ok, you really need to get ammonia and nitrite tests. Nitrate & ph are pretty much irrelevant here. The black areas you are seeing are ammonia burns. I would suggest 50% wcs daily with temp matched, properly conditioned water until you can test his tank. The melafix is no better than healthy water, so this really isnt needed. Its not an antibiotic but merely an over rated mild antiseptic. Water changes daily along with some real meds are going to be the best thing for a positive recovery. Medi-Gold is available from the Goldfish Connection- its a kanamycin medicated food specificially for goldfish. Alternately, you can treat the tank with kanamycin but getting the meds internally will be the most helpful. Daily methylene blue baths will handle external fungal/bacterial issues. Mb ia available at any decent lfs (not chain) or online at any of the big retailers. medigold is only available from the GC. Please ask if you have questions!

Ok, after a 25% water change, a pH balance, an ammonia remover, and an anti-fungal, he's really improved! The eye has stopped swelling and has actually started to clear up as well!
He's eating and swimming around like a champ!
I will continue with the advice you've given me, it's been a TREMENDOUS help! I cannot thank you all enough for your support in my time of fishy-need. :)

I will definitely get an ammonia tester (my tester also does nitrites, sorry I didn't mention it, the levels are at 0.)

Update!

I just wanted to say, his eye is healing BEAUTIFULLY and he can now see and even move it! His wen is also doing well. Unfortunately, he contracted fin rot from some plattys my boyfriend picked up, BUT, they're all being treated and are doing very well. :)
So thanks again to this forum and it's users:fish2:

im so glad that he is healing oz i hope you could get the meds from goldfish connection he is a really good person

Back
Top Bottom