oranda second eye popped :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first_fish_keeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't know what's wrong :/ He lost his first eye about two weeks ago. Today he lost his second one. And I was sure he had popeye so I treated him with maracyn two for 5 days and after that I treated with melafix. Tmm would have been the 7th day on melafix. He's in a tank with two other fancy tail goldfish in a 40 gallon tank. I thought I should treat all of them in case it was due to the water condition; plus my ranchu was showing cloudy eyes, but after the melafix treatment it cleared right up. Anyways back to my oranda, after his first eye popped out I did a 50% water change right away and added in salt for two days then went and purchased medicine.

He always swam up to eat before and after the treatment. Before treatment he was a bit listless at the bottom, but if I approached the tank he would swim around. Other then the missing eyes I don't see anything physically wrong with him.

I'm worried that it's just more then popeye…He's around 1.5-2inches. I've had him for 5-6 months. He has recovered from a swim bladder and ich(he was bought in that condition). I just hope he doesn't pass because he is my first fish.

nitrite 0
nitrate 25
ammonia 0
ph 7.5
room temp

filter fluval u3

housed with

1 ranchu 1.5-2inches
1 lionhead ryukin 2-2.5 inches or possibly three?

Also my fish's eyes looks like the one on the right in this picture before it went missing T.T Idk if that counts as popeye or not. And I'm sure it's not bullying since I think i see the eye in the filter...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5vhgbDcdG1rxaufqo1_500.jpg

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! I must admit something does not sound right here but I cant quite put my finger on what I am missing. A fish's eye just doesnt pop out of its socket all by itself. In order for this occur, it must be physically forced out either from internal pressure or external pressure. If it was forced out via internal pressure, then theres more going on with fish than you realize, likely a serious internal infection of bacterial, viral or parasitic nature.

You mentioned the fish having ich and swim bladder- can you explain in detail the circumstances of these, duration, treatments used, etc? I suspect some answers may lie in this information. Is the fish in question swollen or bloated? Eating normally? Pooping normally? Swimming? The more info you can provide, the better! :)

Thanks for the reply!
So I've he's eating normally. But sadly his other senses aren't kicking in to help him eat the pellets that I feed them. I've been feeding him peas instead. Do you think thats alright as a staple food? He's being really active during feeding time. Sometimes I find him in the corner at the bottom >.> but idk i wana be optimistic and assume he's sleeping? Because when I approach the tank he becomes active immediately.

I got him at petco and saw that he already had a swim bladder but the worker there said he was healthy so haha i bought him regardless. Treated him with peas for three days. As for the ich I noticed it the second or third day and went and put salt into his tank. And those treatments did the trick.

Would it be possible for the eye to pop out due to the shape of my tank? It's a square instead of the traditional rectangle.

It will take awhile for him to adjust to losing his sense of sight. I imagine he quite stressed right now. This is important- are there any signs of infection in or around the eye sockets (fuzziness, white strings, redness, pus, inflammation, red streaks, etc) or on his body (bloating, red streaks in body or fins, scales raised off body, etc)? I believe there is much more going on here beyond the obvious and unless you had a very unusual tank, I doubt this is a factor.

Are the only meds you have available to you from petco or do you have a petsmart or decent lfs near you? Do you also have aq salt? Would you consider taking him to an aquatic vet? I am just trying to figure out your options for him.

In the meantime, keep giving him daily peas (and try ccoked broccoli florets) but he will need more than peas to survive and heal. I would try offering him bits of human shrimp/fish (salmon, mackeral, etc)- they have a strong smell and he may be able to find it better. I would try handfeeding him, too (hold food directly in front his face until he eats it). You should consider making some gel food for him- you could hold a cube in front of him/place a cube in front of him to eat. Keep the tank water very healthy with extra water changes, too.

His eye sockets has a small red coloring inside and his body looks normal.

I do have ich medicine also but yea right now I only have melafix and aqu. salt. There is a petsmart right next to me. I'm not sure where I can find an aquatic vet.

Would bloodworms be an option too? And I will start on making gel food for him. Right now doing a 30% water change.

Ich meds are not needed. How do your water parameters look right now? I would do another decent water change and let's start with aq salt. Predissolve 1 tsp/g in container of tank water. Add the salt solution gradually over 24hrs. Only add back the salt you remove with water changes- ie, 50% wc, add back 1/2 original dose. Let's see how everyone does with this to start & we can work on increasing the salinity a bit more if everyone handles it well.

Ok, an aquatic vet would be my first choice here because I suspect there's a serious internal bacterial infection. Eyes don't just pop out on their own. Meds from Petsmart are limited but better than nothing for now. You can try treating with combo of maracyn & maracyn2 plus the salt or maracyn plus & salt if your store carries it. I would also consider either ordering some Medi-Gold from the goldfish connection. Alternately, you can make your own med food with kanamycin. Please ask any questions & keep us posted!

I've been doing the salt treatment. Everyone seems fine. Acting normal eating normally. Eyeless baby is doing relatively well. Definitely eating, mainly bottom feeding. No abnormal bottom sitting, top floating, or sadness. His second empty socket has healed nicely.

Back
Top Bottom