Oranda staying in corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have a large Oranda that keeps returning to the same corner after doing some rounds in the tank. She is quite round so i thought it may be eggs. She is a bit clumsy due to her size but while she is in the corner she just sort of hangs there, not tilted at a strange angle at all. She eats just fine and moves around quite a bit. But then she returns to the same corner. The water levels are fine. Temp is currently 22dC. Tanks mates are 2 more large Orandas, 2 small Orandas and 3 small algae eaters. They all act normal. Any ideas on whats going on with her would be greatly appreciated

Always hard off pictures so is she unchanged - still alert, no redness in fins/scales or dropping fins?

Could that corner be an area of low flow or safe area where she can hang in peace?

Ages since I kept fancy goldfish. The way the belly area juts out and roundness - if it could be over-feeding then I'd cut back on food. If you think eggs could be worth trying a really good quality food to see if any change.

Yes she doesn't have any signs of disease or injury.
That area probably is a quiet corner as it's furthest away from the filter and she is sort of hiding behind the plant there.
Since Im not sure if its eggs or bloat anymore i have been feeding them peas only for 2 days and perhaps I should fast them for 2?
I also added a male 2 days ago so if she has eggs we should know soon hopefully

So now it seems she is very bloated. Often she is nose down. Still haven't fed them anything but peas since Wednesday. What can i do if peas dont work? She still moves around a lot

Hi Mona. My goldfish has dropsy so I've done a fair bit of research on it and it seems like your Oranda has it too. However, I think you caught it early, so treatment might be possible.
These are the symptoms you should look out for:

-Grossly swollen belly
-Scales stand out (pinecone appearance)
-Eyes bulge
-Gills become pale
-Anus becomes red and swollen
-Feces pale and stringy
-Ulcers form on the body along the lateral line
-Spine may become curved
-Fish clamps fins
-Fish becomes lethargic
-Fish stops eating
-Fish hangs near the surface

The following website has a lot of info on dropsy and it's treatment:
https://www.thespruce.com/dropsy-in-aquarium-fish-1381806
This site omits a lot of details so do some further research if you do think it's dropsy.

I really hope I helped. Good luck!

Thank you! Other than the swelling and going belly up now and then and pale poop there aren't other symptoms yet. I put her in quarantine last night. Water is a bit warmer and im going to start the epsom salt which i see everyone suggests. So disappointing though because i thought she was big due to having eggs :-( Already brought peas into the main tank diet as well as soaking the food before feeding just to avoid general bloating. So we learn!

Thank you! Other than the swelling and going belly up now and then and pale poop there aren't other symptoms yet. I put her in quarantine last night. Water is a bit warmer and im going to start the epsom salt which i see everyone suggests. So disappointing though because i thought she was big due to having eggs :-( Already brought peas into the main tank diet as well as soaking the food before feeding just to avoid general bloating. So we learn!
I'm glad to hear you got her out. Just make sure you start feeding her rich foods such as pellets or insects along with the peas. She won't eat much for a while but try and be persistent.

Also, no matter what you read on the internet, please do not give up on her. There are far too many people who give up on dropsy stricken fish. With good water conditions and a healthy diet, she has a fair chance of survival.

Well I today she stopped flipping over and going belly up. Mostly not even tilting forward. Still not feeding her. I am cautiously optimistic!

Well I today she stopped flipping over and going belly up. Mostly not even tilting forward. Still not feeding her. I am cautiously optimistic!
That's good to hear! That's a quick turnaround. It's supposed to take a few days to see improvements. Make sure you do frequent water changes to cycle out the built up fluids that she releases. I'm glad there's an improvement, that's always a good sign!

Back
Top Bottom