Oranda w/ Injured Dorsal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys. About a week ago I picked up my first ever Oranda. I observed him for about 45 minutes in the store before picking him out.

However, the guy that netted him wasn't very gentle. The oranda's first dorsal spine got bent/broken. I put him in in a QT which presently reads 0/0/10, five days after a water change. (I keep this tank planted and running with some snails in it)

Two days after I brought him home, I noticed that there was a whitish bump at the spot where the spine was injured. The day following, it looked a little worse, but wasn't fuzzy like a fungus. Now, the spine appears to have healed, but there is a sort of white (non-fuzzy) film over that spot and the immediate area. More like a dull sheen than anything else I guess.

Seeing that, I looked around and read on another forum that this is a normal appearance when a fish's wound is healing. Is that true?

I started treating the tank with 1/2tsp/Gal of aquarium salt for the time being, and mela/pimafix because I had some lying around. He's currently very lively, hungry, and only rests when nothing interesting is going on near the tank. The fin isn't clamped, but it's not standing as tall as it was before it got injured. Do I have a bacterial/fungal infection on my hands? Thanks.

Attachments

• PachiHurt.jpg
    PachiHurt.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 158
I don't think it's bacterial or fungal it looks ok to me just watch him for a week and make sure things don't get worse if he is still eating playing ect I think he is healing nicely

I know this may sound weird but what's the color and consistency of the poop some times it's a tell tail sign for bacterial infections

Thanks for the reply!

His poop seems to be firm, it takes a while for it to fall apart on the substrate. It's a fairly bright orange color, which is the same as my other fish who are fed NLS food (he gets the Goldfish formula). Haven't noticed any of it trailing from him yet, but I haven't been around a whole lot this week.

Leave him alone and keep his water PERFECT. His fin looks like its healing (as longas it doesnt get fuzzy looking or the white area starts to spread) and healthy water will allow it to heal over time. It may take a few mths. If it is bent, it may stay that way but it will not affect his health or ability to swim. The pma/melafix isnt necessary. He should be fine in time!

jlk said:
Leave him alone and keep his water PERFECT. His fin looks like its healing (as longas it doesnt get fuzzy looking or the white area starts to spread) and healthy water will allow it to heal over time. It may take a few mths. If it is bent, it may stay that way but it will not affect his health or ability to swim. The pma/melafix isnt necessary. He should be fine in time!

Thanks for the reply! I will be testing the parameters twice daily. Currently changing out twenty percent daily, can easily do more if the need arises. :)

jlk said:
Your welcome!! Always glad to meet a fellow goldfish owner! :)

This is actually my first fancy ever! I fell in love with a huge red cap oranda at my favorite chinese restaurant a few months back but couldn't manage to make a home for one until recently. Down the road I'd like to have three in a 75. The current one, a bronze and a silver oranda. Thats a good year out though.

I have a fish who's fin looks sorta like that has for weeks. He seems fine other than it looking a little weird

Back
Top Bottom