Orandas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vking073

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first oranda and I thought it might have ich. So I've been treating for ich since Wednesday. But it's not getting better I'm wondering if it's something else? Please help!

Does he have white 'bumps' anywhere else (particularly the tail or fins)? I do not see any in your pics but they do not show a clear view of the rest of his body.

Can I ask how you are treating what you believe is ich?

Unless there are obvious white spots elsewhere on him, he does not have ich. What you are seeing is normal wen growth. Wen growth is characterized by white 'pimples' or spots on the head area (wen). These will clear up on their own in no time at all as long as the water parameters are kept pristine and he is eating a nutritious diet. Pristine means zero ammonia/nitrite and preferably less than 10ppm nitrate (under 5ppm would be better).

Its theorized that wen growth is actually accompanied by a low grade infection so do not be surprised if you see strings or fuzz coming from the pimple. It does NOT require treatment other than healthy water (lots of wcs) and good diet. Please ask if you have questions!! :)

Back
Top Bottom