Ordering a freshwater clam online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I was on www.liveaquaria.com and I was looking for a nice addition to my 10 gallon tank. The clam I saw on the site was a maximum of 2 inches long. I have 2 male guppies, a dwarf gourami, a small catfish (I don't know the exact species), and I will soon have a (I think female but I can't be sure because it is too small to have color yet) guppy. My lfs doesn't carry clams and only carries the basic fish. Would a small clam be a good addition?

I believe you are talking about the golden clam. I have some in my tanks and the only time I see them is on Saturdays when I do water changes. After I got them within ten minutes they worked their way into the gravel never to be seen again. They are a nice little biofilter though. Not much of a bioload but not much to look at either.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I decided not to because my lfs doesn't have it and the only place I can find it is liveaquaria.com and I looked into it and shipping would cost like 60$

Clams are not worth the money. Like the other person said, you will hardly ever see them. They don't really move. You might as well just put some shells in your gravel.

You can order one from a different site without having to pay so much shipping. They are on ebay and aquabid. I considered one for a long time and did a lot of research. A lot of people say they never see them unless they intentionally dig them out. I decided to skip them because I've heard too many horror stories about them dying and not knowing because they are in the substrate, then when you do finally find them it's a disgusting mess.

Back
Top Bottom