Oscar help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mine has been doing this for 3weeks now! it doesn't do anything bad... My mom says he's lazy...he does this problably 2-3hours out of 24 so.... The rest of them he swims around hunting minnows and stuff!

image-2299458318.jpg

I don't get it!

Loading... said:
Mine has been doing this for 3weeks now! it doesn't do anything bad... My mom says he's lazy...he does this problably 2-3hours out of 24 so.... The rest of them he swims around hunting minnows and stuff!

I don't get it!

What are your water parameters? How old is the tank? What size is the tank? All these things will help in identifying the problem.

17inches tall

24inches wide
12inch depth

Been set-up for 1 1/2 years and everything in it has been it 6 months

Loading... said:
17inches tall

24inches wide
12inch depth

Been set-up for 1 1/2 years and everything in it has been it 6 months

So is that a 20 gal? How big is the Oscar? Do you test your water for things like ammonia nitrite and nitrate? And this is just my opinion but a 20 gal tank is too small for oscars, I've seen these fish get upwards of 16 inches in captivity and heard of them getting bigger than that even.

It's 20g and I don't usually test water just keep up on water changes and yes I'm getting a larger tank for Christmas but its fine right now.

Loading... said:
It's 20g and I don't usually test water just keep up on water changes and yes I'm getting a larger tank for Christmas but its fine right now.

I would strongly recommend getting a master test kit. API is your best bet. Bout 30 bucks. If your nitrites or ammo rise even a little it can be very detrimental to your fish.

Loading... said:

IME lethargic fish means either sick fish or poor water conditions.

Careful with him- sounds like your water parameters are probably stifling the oxygen- is he showing any signs of indents in his head at all?

Rlavassor86 said:
I would strongly recommend getting a master test kit. API is your best bet. Bout 30 bucks. If your nitrites or ammo rise even a little it can be very detrimental to your fish.

Go to kensfish.com api test kit was 17 for the freshwater. I would reccomend 55 gal at minimum for these guys and you have to change out at least some of the water so the nitrates will go down.

I do water changes twice a week and getting a larger tank for Christmas. He had ich after I got from petsmart and then lived through hole in the head disease!

Before anybody here will be able to help you fully understand what the problem is your gonna have to test your water to find out what all your parameters are. Until then I would do daily pwc.

Back
Top Bottom