oscar with ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my oscars has ick. I dont know what to do because i dont have any quarantine tanks and also i have another oscar in the same tank.

There is a great article in the stickies for dealing with ich. It explains the life cycle of ich and different ways of treating ich.

bump up the temp, do 25% pwc every 2 days and add in some epsom salt, i dont reccomend chemicals because oscars arent that hardy.
how sure are u it is ich and not HLLE? this is common in oscars and can start out small and sorta sand-like, then get worse.

raising the temp means ich grows faster and dies faster. they dont get enough of a life span to breed after a while and eventually die out from no one producing the next generation, and their relatives being siphoned out. xx

Dont worry about a qt tank-if you have ich, you need to treat the whole tank! Raising the temp & adding aquarium salt is the safest method to use along with pwcs & gravel vacs.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
bump up the temp, do 25% pwc every 2 days and add in some epsom salt, i dont reccomend chemicals because oscars arent that hardy.
how sure are u it is ich and not HLLE? this is common in oscars and can start out small and sorta sand-like, then get worse.

raising the temp means ich grows faster and dies faster. they dont get enough of a life span to breed after a while and eventually die out from no one producing the next generation, and their relatives being siphoned out. xx

It might not be ick vecause dhouldt my other oscar hace ick also.... but it seems like it does have any

orandafan12 said:
It might not be ick vecause dhouldt my other oscar hace ick also.... but it seems like it does have any

It can lie dormant. If one fish in the tank has it, you must assume they all do. And they all usualy do. If it is really ick, it will show up soon enough.

Also ich can attach to the gills and not be seen on the fish. But swollen gills helps notice something is wrong.
+1 to the dormant thing. A swordtail had it but you couldn't see any spots within a week everything had it.
But treat the whole tank because it lies in the gravel on the fish and in the water. Learning a little about the parasite itself will help you in treating it.

One more thing... i dont think my heater could go up to 85... what now... i think it is to small i think

I had the same problem with my 110 so I used jungle ich guard. It's worked fine for me but I didn't have oscars in my tank so staying with the salt might be the best way. But someone else will say something better

Gboy66 said:
Get another Heater. A cheap one might do the job

Ill probably get one tomorrow... i just hope that the oscars can withstand the uck til then

Can my heater explode... i turned both heaters up all the way to try and get 86 degrees... should iturn it down?

orandafan12 said:
Can my heater explode... i turned both heaters up all the way to try and get 86 degrees... should iturn it down?

I have heard of that happening

You think it might happen because both heaters i have are cranked up all the way... 100 wattheaters

You should only raise the temperature about a degree and hour I believe so I wouldn't just crank it all the way up. Gradually build it up

Back
Top Bottom