Oscar with troubling spot on head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamelarowley57

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this of major concern?

I just noticed it today and I have been having water quality issues (fungus or bacteria) of which I still haven't determined.

The Oscar now has a spot on the top of his head above his eye. I am freaking out now, worried about my other fish.

I have been doing regular water changes and the water is testing out within good range, I'm just not sure if I am having a bacterial bloom or a fungus problem.

Worried about John Satisfaction Syndrome, HITH, Columnaris etc......

kind of panicking now...any help is appreciated
Pam

Attachments

• HITH.jpg
    HITH.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 68
I have heard hith disease is from a bad diet. Are you making sure to give a variety of foods? Fresh veggies, high quality pellets and frozen proteins.

I feed Hikari Cichlid gold, shrimp pellets and algae wafers. Occasionally bloodworms....

Actually, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was just a scrape. My concern is that if he did sustain an open wound that my fungal problem in the tank might have set in on it.

Have you treated the fungal problem? If not, I would buy a bottle of fungal treatment, remove any activated charcoal and treat according to label. Also could add a little freshwater salt, this won't help the fungus but it will help gill function and scale slime coat.

What about em? Haha just kidding, I don't think the medication would hurt, just have to read the label. And the salt shouldn't do anything either. If you use salt, make sure you get freshwater salt and dose about a teaspoon for every 10 gallons. Sorry I wish I had more insight for ya. Actually, thinking about it I would try salt for a week, before I tried medicine. Dose the tank twice, 2-3 days apart. Then partial water change. If he hasn't made progress then I would look into a fungal medicine.

Back
Top Bottom