:( oscars are mean.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Albino Tiger Oscar was in a 20gallon when I got him in February and now he is 5.5in long and in a 55g. Great fish but an Oscar in a tank with Mollies is like playing golf in a thunderstorm. You are just waiting for a crisis. So sorry to hear about your story. We've all been through trial and error period.

I know people who keep a single Oscar in a 55 gallon and it will play catch with a little floating ball, throwing it out the tank and *catching* it. Given the right environment they can be a great aquatic pet. As with any pet, it is important to understand their needs. I would not get mad at my cat if I let me hamster run free and she ate the hamster. And I would not put my hamster in the same cage as my 5 foot long cornsnake.

I am very sorry the fish store told you that you could keep an oscar with mollies until the oscar got bigger, but it is false information. Hopefully you have another tank you can put either the oscar or the mollies in.

I play on buying a 10g for my mollies, and later upgrading my Oscar to a 55 when I have saved up the money. It's been my plan. And the people @ the pet store had originally told me I only needed a 10 gal but I thought that sounded Odd so I get a 20g instead. My mollies will eventually be in my 20 gal and my Oscar in a 55 and use the 10 for fry/feeder guppies for my Oscar. I just don't have the money right @ the moment. So I figured he would be fine in the 20 by himself for a while.

Prob a couple months. I won't let him outgrow his tank tho. If I have to ill take the mollies back. I'm not as attached to them. But ill still need a smaller tank for his feeders as I would like him to have a fairly natural diet.

oscarchic11 said:
I play on buying a 10g for my mollies, and later upgrading my Oscar to a 55 when I have saved up the money. It's been my plan. And the people @ the pet store had originally told me I only needed a 10 gal but I thought that sounded Odd so I get a 20g instead. My mollies will eventually be in my 20 gal and my Oscar in a 55 and use the 10 for fry/feeder guppies for my Oscar. I just don't have the money right @ the moment. So I figured he would be fine in the 20 by himself for a while.

I'm telling you that Oscar will not live long in that 20 and will most likely have health problems an more than likely develop hole
In the head/ lateral line disease do to poor water conditions and stress from being in so small of the space.

Just return the Oscar and wait until you can afford a 75 gallon tank for a Oscar and the fish will have a much better quality of life from the start.

Also don't feed live food it can make the fish overly aggressive, provides little to no nutritional value, can provide do much protein and can cause problems with the fishes internal organs. Feed a staple diet of good quality pellet like new life spectrum, Omega One or Hakari.

It won't take long for me to do this all. A couple months @ Tue most and one of my friends knows someone that breeds oscars and he has a 16 inch female he breeds.

It won't take long for me to do this all. A couple months @ Tue most and one of my friends knows someone that breeds oscars and he has a 16 inch female he breeds.

Well there you go. You already know that an oscar can get quite large yet you want to only upgrade to a 20 "for now" instead of doing a one time upgrade to make sure your oscar grows up healthy.

:banghead:

No. He is in a 20. I'm upping to a 55. And the breeder said that should be fine considering his size.

That poor oscar is not going to live a full life if you keep it in a 20g very long. I'd make sure that you upgrade as soon as possible. Check craigslist for tanks, you can get 55's around here easier than finding a smiley face at walmart.... and cheap too ($20-75 depending)

smiley faces at walmart arent that easy to come by........ ;)
oscarchic11 has already said shes gonna upgrade, im very proud that shes listened to us and is upgrading for the sake of her fish.
great thinking girl and good luck x

Thank you mouth. Everyone else is just telling me to get rid of him. I can't take him back. I live in Maine, we don't have very good shops and I highly doubt they will even consider taking him. Before I got him he was in a 10g with 5 others his size. Black and reds and albinos which is what he is. Idk the actual names, that's just what the pet shop called them. Like I said they suck.

Like I said, I live in Maine. Not many ppl even know how to use Craigslist.

im sorry if i offended u mdf, i just thought oscarchic wasnt happy x
i agree highly with his/ her craigsilst idea.
there are ways to fundraise and save up, so it may take a lil while but it will beworth it i promise!
and if u want to take it back they really should take it because oscars are worth quite alot and they are always after money.
im sorry for any offense i caused, i always love when mdf helps me out and again im sorry! xxxxx

I have a job, and my petshop sux. And they might sell him on me if I do. :(

Back
Top Bottom