Oscars Laying on bottom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky@3rdshift

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I need some advice on Oscars. I am at a loss searching.

I work at Petco...Ok OK I know I know... I am working in the aquatics dept and I have been given the area to get in shape and re organize as they have not had any reputable "fish" people in a smallwhile. Hey I am trying, but I have limited knowledge when it comes to pests or diseases.

Ok situation is I have a couple Tiger Oscars in a tank been in the system for about 2 weeks.They have been swimming eating, and pretty personally attentive when someone walks up etc... UNTIL today

Yesterday I did a gravel vac on the tanks, cleaned the glass with an algae pad, topped off the sumps with filtered dechlorinated water etc... Everything good when I left last night they ate really well, etc...

This morning I come in They are layingaround on the bottom kinda lounging around. I walk up the pick up a little I drop a few pellets of food in and they perk right up and eat then go back to the bottom. Breathing seems fine no visable sposts on them no raking against the decor, or anything except laying on the bottom.

Water parametrs are all in check, no amonia, small amount of Nitrates, PH was a hair low for these guys 7.0, but I added some PH up till I can get a buffer to stablize it . Should be around 7.8 Right? Nothing else is outta whack. Temp is around 78 and holding.

Any suggestions what I should look for? Is this normal? Maybe its an internal parasite? I have not noticed anthing in the poo.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Ricky
Saving one Petco at a time. ...:) LOL!!

Is there any bubblers in their tank? Any nitrite? I would not adjust the ph unless it is changing on it's own. A stable ph is better than a perfect ph. If they are still eating and no white stringy poo I wouldn't think of a parasite yet.

There are no air stones in the tanks if that is what you mean by bubblers. The returns from the sump are pointed up so they break the water surface to help airify the water. Turns over pretty good. I was thinking that was a possiblity, but they have been good for 2 weeks. Nitrites was undectable, as well as amonia. I tesed the amonia wih a test tube API kit.

You know Now that I think about it some more I think I may have seen some real string white poo. It was still atached to one at the time. What would that mean? I will have to double check tomorrow to confirm it was white and stringy.

If they were subjected to a quick water change it will damage their air bladder. This disables their ability to float. If this is the problem they will have to work hard to swim any level but the bottom.

I took about 25 to 35 gallons out via gravel vac and replaced it in a sump over about 2 hours as the filtered water flows very slow. They swim very easily to get food and hang out for a little bit only to return to laying around the bottom. Don't appear to be struggling like the swim bladder challenged fish I have seen in the past.

White stringy poo can be an indication of internal parasites. If they are still eating try feeding them some medicated food, or soak their food in geltek medicated gel.

Ricky@3rdshift said:
PH was a hair low for these guys 7.0, but I added some PH up till I can get a buffer to stablize it . Should be around 7.8 Right?

I don't know where you're getting that ph value from, but the most important thing is that the ph remains steady.

The oscars would do fine at that level of ph if it remained stable, but that is a little higher then their natural ph. If the tapwater comes out at 7.0 and stays that way, there's no need to mess with it. In fact 7.0 is alot closer to their natural ph then 7.8. I don't know why you'd want it to move it that high? Its best to just leave the ph alone, it can do harm to the fish if there are rapid changes in ph.

Fading in color is an indication of improper pH. I agree with the rest, a stable pH is best. Definitely check on Anne's suggestions as well. I'm not too sure on soaking frozen food in garlic in the FW systems, but it can help to boost the immune systems in SW fish... I just checked the dr's website and the garlic guard is used both in FW and SW...

Back
Top Bottom