Oscar's upper lip almost ripped off...who's to blame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, the burn seems to be healing, I did a water change today and everything was fine until I just noticed my O with the burn has been attacked by either the Jack or the other O. His upper lip is almost detached...you can see the bone. I don't know. I haven't ever seen the other O make an aggressive move toward him. Also, I really don't see how the other O could have done the damage to him that is visible. It looks like teeth could have done it. The Jack has teeth that I can see. He truly is distressed. He's sitting on the gravel and usually he's swimming around. What do you think? I want to keep the Jack for sure...I'm seriously considering putting the smaller O down. I'm quite attached to him so this pulls at my heart. I'm actually close to crying while typing this. I'm not sure what to do.

Do you have a quarantine tank? It could be the Jack sensed this fish was injured and went in for the kill.

Without seeing a pic, I doubt any of us could say for sure, but if the fish is kept in clean water where he will not be harassed, I don't see any reason why the injury couldn't heal up and he would be fine. I would put him in a QT with some salt, MelaFix, and PimaFix.

I don't have a tank to put him in. I have a 55 in my basement, but I don't have the time to set it up. I haven't tried to feed him yet, but I don't think he could eat even if he wanted to.

Dang that sucks Punkymom, :(
You've a hard choice to make...... I don't envy you.
If I was you I'd set that 55 gal up real quick and quarantine him, no need to wory about cycling, just do daily PWC's.
"IF" I really wanted to save that Oscar (and I would), I'd break out a small needle and 100% cotton thread and put his lip back in place with just one or two stitches, then light salt with Mela and Pimafix.
Net'em out, wrap'em in a sopping wet towel and proceed quickly, just make quick simple knots.

No sign of aggression at all? From anyone? Hmmmmmm...
The larger oscar could've tried lip-locking him, got too excited and ripped it off, especially if he's alot bigger.
Jack Dempsies are very controversial as tankmates for Oscars, they are much more aggressive than typical Oscars and if he was trying to stake out territory?........

Just how big is the injured Oscar and how big are his tankmates?

Well, I put him to sleep last night. His entire lip was off, the bone was exposed, and although he tried to eat a little bit, it was hard for him. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have been able to set up the 55. I live with my mother and she thinks that 3 tanks set up is enough. I explained that it would only be temporary, but she was set with her decision. I don't think I would have been able to do that stitches thing. In a way, I feel bad, but I guess I did about as much as I thought I could for him. I know some people may disagree, but it's better for him and me this way. I am very upset at the loss of him...I was quite attached to him...but I have to concentrate on my 2 children right now and the other healthy fish as well as my monster tank ;) being a single mother and a fish lover isn't easy, but I make do! BTW the larger O is about 11 or 12" long and the Jack is 6"...

I'm sorry about your loss. Sounds like you did the right thing if he really wasn't able to eat much.

Back
Top Bottom