Oto in big trouble I fear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greeetings,

I have an Oto that is not doing well, seems a bit lathargic, and came home this evening to find him on the bottom on his side, thought he had gone to the great pond. I nudged him with the net and he took off but not too swiftly or gracefully. I got a bowl and put him in for a bit and he swam up the side and rolled down. I have my doubts he will survive the night. Any suggestions.

His home is a 10 gallon planted tank w/ 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. His tank mates are 1 Red Cherry Shrimp, and 2 algae eating shrimp, and numerous snails. He's been in there about 10 days. Thanks for any help

temp is about 78
ph is about 8.5- didnt realize it was that high, just tested tap - its 7.8

He's not looking good, I feel bad if its my negligence

For a while my nitrates were sky high- that was before anybody was introduced to the water, but then it crashed down and when I test it- that water is mountain dew yellow

Ive got a tankfull of riccia and lack of proper nutrients - Ive got some dry ferts coming to get my nitrates up a little - just have some potassium and excel right now.

As feared, oto has passed on. I'm hopeful that it isnt an issue w/ the tank and shrimp are next. Thank you Sahabo for the info, sad that they harvest them that way.

so sorry to hear that! :( I would hold off getting more otos until your tank is well established and stable.

hmmm... I don't have any experience keeping shrimp myself, so I'm not sure. Lots of others around here would probably know though!

Back
Top Bottom