Otos has blood under the skin around there face (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterlilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Well one of our otos seems to have what looks like blood under the skin around his mouth and on top of his nose, i lost one just a few weeks ago that looked to have a tumor or somethind around his belly and i did post about it here and some said it could of been a burn but after he died i took him out and looked close and hard and thought that it may of been a tumor of some kind.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Temp is 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit), ph is 7.5, NO3 is 10 mg\l NO2 is 0

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
Tank is 15 gallon and has been up and running for about 3 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Unknown

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
There are two male guppies and one male betta and 2 red cherry dwarf shrimp and 2 amano shrimp and one red claw shrimp and 2 oto

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Last sunday and we do it every week and we remove about 40 to 50 percent.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
We have had them about a month

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No we have not

Thanks in advance for any adivce oh and we had 4 otos on died from that wound on or in the belly that i stated about earlier and one just up and disapered

Well it seems like the other one is now starting it here is a pic of both of them.

Attachments

• sick_otos.jpg
    sick_otos.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 191
Apologies for not seeing this earlier Waterlily :oops: Since this affliction is limited to your otos and is around their mouths, I would think that they are being bruised by something in the tank, perhaps on the substrate or decorations.

Do you have any sharp objects in there that could be responsible?

No prob Jchillin, as far as i can tell no but it could be from that ship that sits behind them in the picture i posted and also a castle that i have in there but those are the only two things i can think of that may of caused it. I have heard that these fish are very sensitive around the mouth is that true? We will remove the ship and see if that helps clear it up if not could it be some type of infection on there mouth? Thaks again

Based on the picture their appearance is normal. I see nothing to be alarmed about.

Otocinclus are notoriously hard to acclimate to a new tank as they are very sensitive to water conditions. I tell people you can almost count on the loss of some Ottos within the first two months.

Im sorry Fish Surgeon but i have to dis agree with u cause when we brought these guys home about 4 weeks ago there mouths where pure white with no sighns of blood. We have already lost 2 of them and so im well aware that sometimes u may loose a few fish in the process of them acclimating. Whanks though for all your replys we will keep an eye on them and see how it goes but i fear that they will probally die since we can not treat them cause we dont really know what its is but i will really keep my eyes open on that ERM.

Back
Top Bottom