Otto Emergency!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Outdated rule man ;)

Has way too many inconsistencies.

Caleb

Well heck then why does everyone say my tank is over crowded i have about 30 inches of fish in a 55 gallon, this is to confusing im taking up knitting

Edit : nm is because all my fish are schooling fish and i don't have them in schools of 5+ so they get stressed, and i can't add more cause im 115% stocked without culling out the fish i don't want so i can indeed make proper schools???

So... getting back to the reason that I started this thread, I just went to my LFS and got my water tested. They said all of my pera miter were good, exempt my KH is a bit high. Would that cause an oto to die?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So... getting back to the reason that I started this thread, I just went to my LFS and got my water tested. They said all of my pera miter were good, exempt my KH is a bit high. Would that cause an oto to die?

I doubt it. Many are wild caught and can die sometimes for unknown reasons. In many cases though it's due to the tank being new so a biofilm is not established. They feed off this biofilm.

Caleb

Wild Caught Otos need plenty of Biofilm and soft green algae. Some won't eat prepared foods.

He may have had parasites.
Or died of stress from not having other Otos.

You haven't mentioned exact readings on your water tests.

Mollies like harder water with salt. Min tank size 30g
Y
Otos like lower ph , no salt and lots of plants and other Otos. Min tank size ? 10g but 20g is better.

I don't know what caused your Oto to die. But a new 5g tank is not ideal for Otos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I would upgrade my tank right now if I could, but I cant. I don't have any fish keeping friends, and I am certainly not "culling"(also known is murdering in cold blood) my molly. I will upgrade as soon as possible, but for now the molly will have to stay put.

Yeah. I would upgrade my tank right now if I could, but I cant. I don't have any fish keeping friends, and I am certainly not "culling"(also known is murdering in cold blood) my molly. I will upgrade as soon as possible, but for now the molly will have to stay put.

no culling means euthanize a fish so others can live example i've had to euthanize 4 fish that were sick so my others could stay healthy, what people are asking you to do is REHOME your molly so she can swim around, shes not sick go garage sale hopping, your local thrift store, hell i just got a 30 gallon with a stand out of the garbage and theres nothing wrong with it, just save some money up and go to garage sales/ 1 dollar a gallon sales (if you have them there) even your local fish store might have used tanks for dirt cheap (they will probably need cleaned up) the hobby doesnt have to be outrageously expensive i went to an estate sale they had a 150 gallon with a stand for 100 bucks but it was sold before i could get to the cashier, there's many ways to get stuff for cheap besides going to petsmart/your lfs to get your stuff.

I was given a 55g plus stand, filter, heater for free.

If you ever need temp quarters you can use clean Rubbermaid bins. Cover with screen so fish don't jump.

I do not expect you to kill your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom