Ottos dead ! SIGH !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I lost 2 of my 3 ottos for no apparent reasons within 2 days :(:(
The fatest one died first , followed by the 2nd fattest one.
They were eating fine, swimming everywhere and just died all of a sudden

I have been feeding them algae tablets and zuchini.
Any thing I should do to save the 3rd one ?

first off you might want to discover the cause of the deaths. Can you give us your ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte? and do you have algea for them to eat in your tank? becuase from what i understand otos much be constantly grazing, not just fed once a day. (if im wrong please correct me) Also do you think they may have been picked on or stressed in any way?

My understanding of Otocinculus is that they cannot digest their own food. They must consume bacteria from other Oto poop when they are small (much like elephants). The bacteria lives in their digestive tract and digests the food that they eat.

If they become stressed for too long and stop eating, this bacteria will die. Once they calm down and start eating again, they will not be able to digest their food and they will die.

They have to be in a completely non stressed environment.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I personally have not found otocinclus to be as fragile as some people make them out to be. I have purchased 4 over the last few months, and did lose one. However, the 3 that lived have been in my tank for months and have survived being moved twice and the accidental ammonia spike that occurred when one of my swordtails died and decomposed where I couldn't find her.

I don't supplement their diets with anything. They are able to live quite nicely just eating the algae off my decorations and glass. I think I have had them for 4 months now and they all look healthy and happy.

The reason your oto's died was probably at the pet store. Odds are that they were either unhealthy or already under heavy stress and the move to your tank finished them off. From what I have experienced and read, you should be prepared for some of them to die within a few days of adding them to your tank. The ones that make it past that will probably live a long time.

Hope you don't lose any more, but don't be shocked if you do...:(

Paul

i have had them since 1st week october
I had read through many articles saying if they survive the first month , there are high chances of them surviving. I was getting happy the way they were coming along, cleaning the tank , eating a lot and nobody in the tank was bothering them

How terrible, swanandmokashi. I'm sorry :cry:

Besides the things that the others have mentioned, otos need a nitrate level below 20 ppm, as stated in the article that Mofo2713 linked. You had enough plants, though; I can't image that your nitrates were an issue. Have you checked your parameters lately?

YES the parameters seem fine. I don;'t have a liquid test kit and my nitrates always show up as 40 (hard to read). I change about 15-20% water every week..Any thing else I should be doing ?

I also thought that the plants should reduce the nitrate ..haven't seen that happen

how long has your tank been established? From what I've read, otos need to be introduced into a well established tank (6 months or more) because there are certain swings that may or may not be apparent to us in a newer tank. I introduced two to my 10 gallon tank after it was set up for 5 months and never had a problem. However, I think I may have been lucky because I've heard many otos are very sensative to new tanks, nitrates, ammonia, etc... Lets just hope your last oto makes it. Keep an eye on him, watch his tummy, I've also heard otos are very susceptable to internal diseases including TB.

Are you using a strip test kit for the nitrates? I was using strip tests too for nitrate. The liquid test-tube kits require 30 seconds to one minute of shaking, and that hurt my hand! :oops:

But now I am back to using the nitrate liquid test (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). I was always getting 20 ppm of nitrate with the strip kits, even after adding live plants. That didn't seem right, so I went ahead and used the liquid test again. Now my nitrate level is 0, and has been there for awhile. If you can, get the Aquarium Pharm test kit. It will measure your nitrates more accurately, and I bet your new result will be around 5-10 ppm, if you still have all the plants in your sig. Your water-change schedule sounds fine, but try changing just a little more of the water -- 20-25% instead of 15-20%, and see how that affects nitrate levels also.

i bought my oto after my tank was established for about 2 months and mine is fine, but i also made them give me one with a full looking belly.

I have had 3 otos for about 6 weeks in my tanks that has been running for 10 weeks. No problems yet, besides the whole one oto with on eye thing "knock on wood". Just keep their tummies plump...

Sorry to hear about your losses swanandmokashi. :(

As you probably already know, oto's are very sensitive to shipping and handling. It might just be that they were under too much stress during shipping or capture was done with chemicals.

Try some other algae-eaters if you don't want to loose anymore oto's!

Otos seem to adjust to new tanks very poorly, often they don't survive the settling period despite ideal water conditions. Often bad stock and store keep is the result on top of the stress of being transported from south america.

Swanandmokashi, i personally have 1 albino pleco in an 18.5 gal who does an OK job, not wonderfull though. You could try that one, but maybe some other people have better suggestions? I heard there are also shrimp who eat algae, but you would have to have enough hiding places so your barbs don't harras them all the time.

HTH

I too bought a couple of otos about the middle of october. They have been doing great - I was wondering if otos could eat too much, they're so fat.

But much to my dismay I noticed one looking poorly yesterday. Water parameters are 0 for ammo, nitri, nitrates. I've been doing big water changes to bring down phosphorous (it was at 5.0 now 2.0). I've actually been adding nitrates because this is a planted tank with co2.

Anyhow anything to do for one that looks sick other than watch it die? His color looks bad and his fat little belly is now all sucked up. He's just sitting in one place. If he dies do you recommend getting another for the buddy, or can I wait a while before adding another ? I don't want to become an oto killer.

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom