Our poor weather loach was found on the floor this morning :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, today was an ok day (Theraputic haha!) against what was advised i did a double swap, i completely cleaned the medicine bowl and ran is clean, and moved my fish to see how they would handle the PH, they took it greatly so i wen't and did a full clean of my main tank (My fish show certain signs when they don't like something so i was confident).

The tank is now gleaming at last, so hopefully now we can address some of my issues!.

First of all, the filter:

Its a large canister unit designed for up to 300-400L but i run it in my 200L because of how messy my fish are!

sam1356h.jpg

Thats the pod above quite abig unit (nearly up to 10 l capacity and think cycles up to 1150L per hour (And it really does o_O fires like a hose pipe, its how i empty my fish tank!)

The contents of the pod are next, there are Waaaay more bioballs then the picture suggests!

sam1357t.jpg

Its a good unit, i put the charcol bag back into day after finding it, when i cleaned the filter i cleaned all the pieces with fresh water except the wool layer, i cleaned that with dirty fish water (Cycling?).

It needs replacing soon though, its degrading quite fast! (Dam wool).

And here is my rather new tank! its not got much things in yet, i can work on that, but the fishes do enjoy whats there!!

sam1335m.jpg

sam1336a.jpg

This guys like king of the tank, this goldfish (This is unknown breed guy!) is the strongest and healthiest thing there imo, suffers no fin problems or white spot infection at all...

sam1339n.jpg

Wohooo weather loach!! :D seems quite happy however fin rot issue is hitting him hard! o_O

sam1338w.jpg

And now the whole gang!

sam1351.jpg

- Continued*

But as i say the comets are having issues, and the moore is effected a bit :(

Comets suffering from droopy fins, cramped fins and blood veins!

sam1340a.jpg

See the comet in the top right, see his back fins, they are always like that, only when there is apserlutely no current does he raise it and open it properly! its got bloody veins too but not as bad as the White/orange comet, you can see his fins in front of the orange comets face!

sam1343dn.jpg

sam1346q.jpg

sam1348bc.jpg

Now on to the moore,

sam1352.jpg

You see that white mark on him? that was where he cut him self quite badly! a bit of blood on his body but it soon closed up pretty fast o_O after that he got heavily infected with Ich and i moved him to the medicine bowl for recovery, this is how he is now, but he still is a bit sitty on the bottomy, i know he can be more active!

Can you also see his crumpled fin? its been like that for ages, it straightens out when current hits it (So it fans up if you get me!) but it causes him to not swim so great (Although he still charges at water current whenever he likes!)

sam1354d.jpg

Another picture of the crumpled fin on the moore however if you look closely at the comets dorsal fin, you can find its slightly deformed at the front (When you see it in person, its also lined with small white spots that look like they're inside of the fin front o_O).

So any more of your already great advice would be appreciated, not long and i can get the testing kit but i'd imagine the PH bang on and the other things inside of a great margine now!

A sneaky thank you pic from the loachy :p!

sam1344r.jpg

Cheers Guys,
- Migs

i gave him a full dose in the medicine tank *Doh* should have read sooner,

Welcome...... it's really important to research the species that you keep. That way, in an emergency, you'll already know which species might be less tolerant to a med or salt or whatever.

Hope he makes it, sounds like a special fish.

Thanks Migs!!! Your poor little loach! I am not sure where you are from (different countries have dif rules regarding fish meds) but your loach has a pretty serious case of fin rot (a bacterial infection). He needs antibiotics to stop the infection before it progresses any further. Kanamycin or minocycline would work but i dont know what you have access to! Lets stick with healthy water for your goldies & see if this helps them recover on their own. Though, i have to say, your moor does not look very happy. Not much can be done for his deformed fins, unfortunately. Do you offer your goldies any veggies? Plain, cooked spinach, broccoli (florets), zucchini, & deshelled peas (mashed a bit before serving) may help as well as a quality sinking food.

His personality is much better, fin rot occured after giving him blood worms but not eating them, it hink they could have contaminated the water a bit, like i said the water smelled like spices, wtf?? haha,

I have melafix which contains melaleuca if thats any help??

The moore has a lovely personality, he got quiet when our other moore died :(.

I could have a look for them medicine ingredients, but the only fish place i know is the near garden centre o_O

Im not a big fan of melafix & really think its useless except in the most minor situations where healthy water would cure the problem anyway. Fin rot is almost always caused by poor water conditions- the bacteria that cause it are everywhere but a fish with healthy immune system & healthy water are not affected by it. Stress/weakened immune system & poor water cause a fish to be suseptible to the bacteria. It can be deadly if it reaches the base of the tail & enters the bloodstream which is why treatment in serious cases is necessary.

First of I'd like to say I live that red plant you have in your tank! (y) very pretty. :)

I agree with what jlk has said. Your loach is suffering from bad fin rot. What country are your in? Really depends what country as to what meds are available. In in Australia and over the counter antibiotics are not available :(

I live in the UK, yeah the red plant is awesome, fish love to circle around the bottom of it and weave between it, very great addition!

I dont know how the loach rot occured?? he was doing fine with regards to fins and slime?? i just don't understand why now this issue has cropped :/ how fast does fin rot hit fish??

MrMigs08 said:
I live in the UK, yeah the red plant is awesome, fish love to circle around the bottom of it and weave between it, very great addition!

I dont know how the loach rot occured?? he was doing fine with regards to fins and slime?? i just don't understand why now this issue has cropped :/ how fast does fin rot hit fish??

Bad cases pretty fast. Over a day or two from what I've witnessed. Poor water conditions or stress or both. Ring around some places and find out the availability of antibiotics in the UK. Ask for them specifically saying your not looking for melifix. Lots of LFS will try to sell you melifix but it's not an antibiotic.

One or two days? ****** this just keeps getting worse :( maybe i should see if a full dose of melafix could build up a heavy slime to slow the infection down?

What about the moore and comets momma, what do you advise for them?

Your poor loach has been through quite a bit!!! Fin rot can occur seemingly overnight & has the potential to progress fairly quickly. Unfortunately, the UK is one of the strictest countries in regards to fish meds. I would do some looking online & see what is available for you to purchase. In the meantime, keep his water healthy & you might as well keep up with the melafix because its the only thing at your disposal right now. Hope this helps!

jlk said:
Your poor loach has been through quite a bit!!! Fin rot can occur seemingly overnight & has the potential to progress fairly quickly. Unfortunately, the UK is one of the strictest countries in regards to fish meds. I would do some looking online & see what is available for you to purchase. In the meantime, keep his water healthy & you might as well keep up with the melafix because its the only thing at your disposal right now. Hope this helps!

Hey jlk. MYXAZIN is available in the UK I think. We don't know if it works yet but maybe worth a shot?

Hmm, theres not so much over the counter still for sale, but if my loach can hang in there till friday, then i can go on the hunt for the special ingredients!

I hope he hangs in there, hes been such a fighter so far!

MrMigs08 said:
Hmm, theres not so much over the counter still for sale, but if my loach can hang in there till friday, then i can go on the hunt for the special ingredients!

I hope he hangs in there, hes been such a fighter so far!

Try the MYXAZIN. I was recommended it for my moors eye that has a suspected bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom