Overfeeding Disaster PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VictoriaC

Aquarium Advice Regular
3 tanks
1x 10 gallon with 2 mollies, 5 neons and 3 shrimp
1x 5 gallon with about 30 less than a week old molly fry
1x 1.5 gallon with betta

asked father-in-law to feed fish while gone for the long weekend... upon arrival discovered all tanks with cloudy water and food rotting in them...
fry tank food had some fuzz growing over it...

did large water change 60% in 10 gallon, 70% in 5 gallon and 100% for betta...

i tried to get as much food with gravel siphon - but still alot of food left...

What should i do? I did not even test water upon arrival as the water change was needed immediately..it was also a warm weekend here in LA :facepalm:

Thanks!

Continue lots of water changes
The mollies and neons really do need a 20-30 gal tank or rehome them

Had that same type of experience:(

Lots of good water changes and I would also add Stress Coat.

Assuming you have a hang on the back (HOB) filter...

Rinse out the old filter in treated water, to get out the clumpy stuff, then add a clean rinsed filter behind the old one if you can fit it. (piggy back )

Do NOT throw out the old one, it has the beneficial bacteria. Which has to work overtime right now!

Thank you all for quick response!

Do i change water once a day or more?
How about feeding fry? I see them picking food from the bottom - so that should be enough for a while?

Thanks again!

In the future, know that adult fish can easily go a week with no food. If you do need tanks fed, put feeding portions into little plastic baggies, or another container. Don't just leave it up to the "babysitter" to do the right thing. Invariably, people without fish will completely overfeed fish.

Fry do require multiple daily feedings. What are you feeding them?

I agree, lots of water changes are in your immediate future.

If you have a vacuum, you should be sucking up the old nasty rotting stuff from the bottom and giving several small feedings during the day to the fry. My recommendation for fish food is Hikari, it doesn't cloud or turn the water yellow/brownish.

There are Micro Bites which you can smash with the backside of a spoon if you don't care to purchase additional First Bites for the babies. Either way as long as you don't spill them..., they last a long time!

Do you have a test kit or test strips? If you have strips, the ones I had didn't have test for ammonia. Need to test that too. They should all be in the low side of safe.

I would do changes at least morning and evening if you have the test kit you will be able to tell when. up to 75% Try to keep the temp as close to the original water as possible. Keep the toxic water away from your babies!

Lynda great idea about the baggies I will do that nest time too!

Good luck. It is tiring to do so many water changes but nice when you see positive results.

Use a gravel vacuum and continue lots of PWC. Add some stress coat, and you also might want to think about upgrading to at least a 3 gallon for your betta...just saying.
BTW: DON'T LET BABYSITTERS FEED YOUR FISH without pre-measured food!!! Put food in small labeled plastic baggies for the babysitters to feed each day and tell them to feed them no more or no less.
And make sure you have a reputable pet sitter/fish sitter...mine one time fed my fish the bags of food, but thought I was starving them, and scooped in a LOT extra. She is no longer welcome for ruining my tanks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom