P,ed off and confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Saturday I began turning up the temp on my tank as it seems some of my guppies have ich (white dots on fins and body).
Yesterday a guppy and a neon tetra died.
This morning a clown pleco, a guppy and a blue paradise died.
This afternoon a 3 paradise,died, 3 neon gone missing and a guppy was dead with its tail eaten and what looks like a blood blister.
Any ideas?

Saturday I began turning up the temp on my tank as it seems some of my guppies have ich (white dots on fins and body).
Yesterday a guppy and a neon tetra died.
This morning a clown pleco, a guppy and a blue paradise died.
This afternoon a 3 paradise,died, 3 neon gone missing and a guppy was dead with its tail eaten and what looks like a blood blister.
Any ideas?

Sorry for you losses. Could you tell us what your water parameters are? How large a tank, and what temperature did you raise to? Thanks.

My tank is 46 gallon with AC50 filter, 200w heater and 20w light.
Ph 7.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite and nitrate a little high. I can't find the chart to tell.
I add malachite green to the tank for the ich and temp is 30/86

In short your tank is still cycling and with the addition of medication as well as the high temperature they all likely contributed to the loss of your stock.

Best advice is to wait till your tank is cycled (0-0-10) before adding any more stock and quarantining any new stock before addition as well.

I'm not planning on getting more fish soon (unless I end up with 0). Yeah the tank is still cycling. If it was the ammonia wouldn't all the guppies and neons have died?

I'm not planning on getting more fish soon (unless I end up with 0). Yeah the tank is still cycling. If it was the ammonia wouldn't all the guppies and neons have died?

Give it time, ammonia damage can cause deaths even after levels have dropped dramatically! However, you haven't mentioned that you have suffered high ammonia.

It could be the ich that is causing deaths. The white spots you see are the last stage in the multiplication of the parasite as it feeds from the fish internally.

What solution of malachite are you using and at what dosage please?

Sounds like maybe the tank was nver fully cycled. Then a new addition to your tank (they are all new if its under 1 month old) brought in the parasite.

I don't remember ever having high ammonia.
Med has
Malachite green 7 mg
Formaldehyde 620 mg
Chlorine dedoecyl benzene-bis (2 hydroxyethyl) ammonium 2mg
1 drop per gallon

Another thought..You may want to add another ac50, that's a deep tank, you're def going to want more water movement , at that temp your fish could have simply suffocated, I'm guessing the guppys and neons hang topside?? if you didn't add air stone,bubbler than the gas exchange was probably no where near adequate for that tank.

Yeah I have an air stone that goes at the bottom of the tank and is about 8 inches long (the air stone!). Also I added extension filter tubes so it is about 3/4 down the tank. My friend is going to return a filter on Wednesday, it is only a cheap one but better than nothing. I hope that helps

Tetras are sensitive to medication :(

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another neon dead and 2 missing. I assume the 2 missing have been eaten. Would the high temp kill them? Would the med kill them? I have been putting the correct amount of med in. I don't understand

I have another 16 gallon tank but it has guppy fry in. Would the neon tetra eat the fry? Also I don't want to contaminate the fry tank aswell

Tetras will eat guppy fry and they will infect the babies. Tetras are sensitive fish so I'm not surprised that they are not responding to the treatment well.

More neons gone missing and a dead clown pleco to wake up to this morning. My wife is convinced that it is because of the high temp and she is calling me a murderer :(

I am not nearly as advanced an aquarist as many who have posted before, but it seems to me that the combination of all of the factors is to blame. And I believe the high temp is definitely the worst thing you can do when you have so many other issues--a cycling tank and diseased stock. If you have anything left still, I would do an immediate 50% water change, pouring in a bit at a time over an hour or so, allowing the new water to slowly change the temp to 80 degrees F (26.6 C) at the most. Wait a day, do another 50% water change, keeping the temp at 80. If you have survivors and they have ich spots, resume treating the tank with your meds, but don't raise the temperature. Depending on the number of surviving fish, you will still need to do water changes until your tank cycles (add in the right amount of meds per gallon).

Back
Top Bottom