Pale German blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCLXVI

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a German Blue Ram in my 40 gallon breeder. I have had him for a few weeks now. When I first got him he was very colorful, but now he is very pale and washed out. He also seems to hold his top fin close to his body at all times. He is just now comfortable enough with me to come out when it is feeding time.
From what I can tell my tank is very healthy. 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, and currently fluctuating nitrates (it is a planted tank and I have had this problem for a long time now, still trying to keep under control) I know the nitrates are probably going to be the first thing people red flag, but it hasn't been a problem recently.
He is in with 2 angels, 5 von rio tetras, 7 harlequin rasboras, 3 ammano shrimp, and a very small pleco (not a common but I forget the type. stays around a few inches) And honestly next to no aggression (I spend a good part of my day around my tank)

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_20120321_225704.jpg
    IMG_20120321_225704.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 182
Also, sorry for the poor picture quality. As I said, he is still a bit shy when I'm around.

my gbr was very pale when i discovered it had parasites :/, im not saying this is what happened, but there could be internal issues but wait for some others to chime in on what they think

I'm hoping you didn't find out the hard way :(

I'm honestly thinking about tearing down the tank and starting over. I just need to wait for petco to have another $1 per gallon sale so I can upgrade to the 55gallon. I would keep the 40 gallon breeder up but I wouldn't have anywhere to put the current stock while replacing the substrate etc.

Oh, the joys of fish keeping...

well have you seen anything else strange about him lately? is he lethergic or still active? poo normal? still eating right?

I actually just found the receipt from buying him. I have had him for exactly 20 days. Honestly I guess I don't know what I am looking for. He honestly seems ok. Hes coming up to the front of the tank for the first time in the last few days and ate a bunch tonight.

Back
Top Bottom