Pale Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RebeccaEliza23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I bought a female orange Platy a month and a half ago but she seems to have got paler ever since I've got her, now a light orange.
Is she ill?? There have been no changes in behaviour that I've see.

I originally bought her with another platy, that unfortunately died a week and a half later and Ive recently added a new platy to the tank which is a large goldfish bowl with pump.

Can anyone help??

Hi,
I bought a female orange Platy a month and a half ago but she seems to have got paler ever since I've got her, now a light orange.
Is she ill?? There have been no changes in behaviour that I've see.

I originally bought her with another platy, that unfortunately died a week and a half later and Ive recently added a new platy to the tank which is a large goldfish bowl with pump.

Can anyone help??

hi Rebecca,

I know it is common for certain types of fish to lose colour when they are under stress , this may be the reason, I think perhaps because she is in a goldfish bowl it might be stressing her out (it is spherical) however, it may be that your fish is ill, I do not know the name of a disease with this symptom, but it could be possible. Was she pale before you bought this new fish?
was the dead fish pale after it died?

Yes it is spherical and yes she was pale before I bought the new fish. Ive only really noticed how dramatic the difference is comparing her to photos I took on the day I got her.
I don't think the last fish was pale when she died ( she was nearly white anyway so its hard to tell)

well, I think it is nothing to worry about, just in case, keep an eye on her for a bit, but I doubt anything is wrong, try to find her a mate, her colouration should return (hopefully, or there may be something wrong)

Ok i'll keep watching her. The new fish is a male so hopefully she'll get back to normal :)

Ok i'll keep watching her. The new fish is a male so hopefully she'll get back to normal :)

U should have 2 female for every male in your tank so they don't bully I have 1 male and 4 females in my an h&r still stresses some of the females out

Hello Becky...

Platys are "Livebearers" and need a bit of standard aquarium salt added to their tank water. I add a teaspoon to every five gallons of the new, replacement water. Also, any fish needs lots of pure, treated tap water flushed through the tank regularly. If you're not changing half the tank water at least every two weeks, then that needs to be done. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the fish and plants too.

Keep the water clean and in time, your Platy will regain it's color.

B

Thanks I'll try adding some aquarium salt. At the minute I'm changing half the water every 3/4 days.

I know ideally that I should have more females but the fish advisor when I bought them said that since the male was fairly young it wouldn't be too bad at the minute and they wouldn't advise any more fish in the tank anyway.

Hello again Becky...

In pure water conditions, Livebearers are very efficient breeders. 99 out of a 100 females are pregnant when they leave the pet store. So, you don't need to buy males. If you set up the tank with lots of plants, especially the floating kind, you'll give the female the perfect conditions for her fry. There will be many males in the fry and you'll have the base for a large number of fish.

You may want to look into expanding at some point. Female Livebearers can have between 6 and 60 little ones about every month. Again, provided you give them pure water conditions and floating plants.

Have fun.

B

my suggestion was for if she is stressed, get her a mate, but if I were you, I would wait until
1) you're sure she is not pregnant
2) you have more females
and 3) you know what you will do with the fry

if your tank gets too overstocked then it is likely many fish will die, so be sure to have a place to put your fry

Back
Top Bottom