Pale plecostomus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My sailfin plecostomus has developed pale gray spots and gotten paler over the past month. I was not home, but he was not like this when I left.

It is a 36 gallon tank with two gourami and 2 platys as well. Before I left, I added a new tank heater and it’s set at 72 degrees Fahrenheit and am wondering if this may be the cause, or if it is normal, which I read it might be.

IMG_7568.jpgIMG_7569.jpgIMG_7570.jpgIMG_7571.jpg

Judging from your pics, no Ick, Oodinium or Columnaris. That's a relief. The fading might be due to a nutritional deficiency. Be sure to feed your Pleco an algae wafer two or three times a week. It also would be a good idea to add a small piece of driftwood for your Pleco to munch on. Your Pleco will like it if you bump the temp up to 78 degrees. No worries. :)

Thanks! I set it at 72 because I didn’t want to change the water too much without being able to observe them, I will be bumping it up a bit. I observed him a bit too and as soon as he swam around and moved to the gravel all the spots disappeared so I’m not worried. Thank you though!! I’ll make sure he’s getting fed properly now

Thanks! I set it at 72 because I didn’t want to change the water too much without being able to observe them, I will be bumping it up a bit. I observed him a bit too and as soon as he swam around and moved to the gravel all the spots disappeared so I’m not worried. Thank you though!! I’ll make sure he’s getting fed properly now

as stated already, I would still suggest a small piece of driftwood. Many plecos need the wood in their diet .

Back
Top Bottom