Panda Cory Mortality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julicat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got four panda cats Friday. One died Saturday. One died sometime between yesterday morning and this afternoon.

Tested ammonia, nitrate/nitrite, and pH levels yesterday morning. All were in good, safe ranges.

Yes, should have quarantine tank set up for new arrivals and ailing fishies, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Not enough information to go on here, of course...but as catfish are pretty hardy beings, any ideas?

Just the way it goes sometimes?

Synodontis cats, much larger, but always docile-seeming, wouldn't **** with the pandas, would they?

Sad. Will see how the remaining two do before getting some friends for them. Panda corys are wonderful.

Nope, I bought four a couple years back and none lived longer than 6 months (1, 2, 5 and 6 respectively)

We've had a lot of problems with our Panda Cories too. They seem to die for no apparent reason - our water parameters are always fine, no other obvious problems. I often wonder whether they have a shorter life span, if they're just *extremely* sensitive, or if it's a problem with the way they're being bred. Problem is, they're my favourite fish by far, so even though they cause so much heartbreak, I keep buying them...

I have six for almost a year, then for no obvious reason they start to die 1 by 1 n i lost all six within a month. :(

I am so glad this tread has been started.. I just said goodbye to my last panda yesterday. I am 0-7 on this set. I only tried them once a year ago and I was 0-4. The only thing I could figure was that they were not enjoying my spunky pleco that kept jumping on them and water changes. I was to the point that I was adding my new water with a tube so that it would be added slowly. I made my water changes smaller and more frequent so that the ph wouldn't bounce etc....

I really think I am done with Panda's.. They are sooo cute and fully of energy and so tiny when they arrive at the fish store. If I ever try them again I will look for some mature or locally bred or something.

I've gone with delphax in their place. I had 2 pair off and 1 doing well inspite of the fact that the other two have paired off and basically ignore him/her. I want to find at least 1 more so that the 3rd has a friend..

And ya Endgame I have a breeding pair of bronze in my one tank that have been like tanks very resilient.

Moose, I am so sorry to hear that, I knew you were having trouble :(

julicat, I am sorry for your losses too. Keep in mind that most fish will eat whatever fits in its mouth. Even though your Synodontis is docile, if a "snack" happens his way, you can't fault him for eating :?

Now I can't find the other two pandas. It's so wierd: when I brought them home, I posted on some other part of this site about the new additions to the family and a variety of people joined me in singing the praises of panda corydoras; when I posted here about the two (or is it now four?) that died, all of the difficulties people have with pandas comes to light.

Y'all would think I am CRAZY if I try once more with the pandas.

It says in fish lit that pandas grow to two inches; I have never seen them that size in stores, whereas I always see different age/size individuals among other cory species in stores.

If I do try to be a home for more pandas, I will definitely not get four. I will get three or five or six. Four seems to be bad luck.

Okay, sorry, but I have to say it again: THEY'RE SO CUTE!

Different members read differenct parts of the site. Personally, I would try them again. I bought 5, lost one (this was 5 months ago) and the rest are doing fine.

All my panda reach 2" before the die. Small size is one of the reason i choose panda over others cory.

julicat I wouldn't think you were crazy if you got more. I am sure you will find some that will work out (twitch twitch)

Menagerie tell me you didn't get your Panda's at tanks!!!!! :oops:

Found the two remaining pandas, btw. Oh, I'm sorry: found the two remaining pandas alive, btw. Looked at up close, they're not the most vibrant looking fish in the sea. Maybe I haven't looked at them real up close before. They seem listless, perhaps not as boldly colored...

For two real little fish in a twenty gallon tank with a lot of rocks and caves and plants and stuff, they are very good at staying side by side.

I wonder if maybe they they don't like all the stimulus of a community tank...all the freneticism of tetras going on all the time. Maybe they don't tune it out as well as other, larger [and less fragile] corydoras.

Is it true all pandas are captive bred? This would be good from an ecological pov. Are most corys captive bred these days?

At the risk of killing the last coupla Mohicans by loneliness, I think I will wait a few days before adding more pandas.

Anyone know of a real good article or book specifically about aquarium cats? I'd like to learn more about where they come from, differences between species, care, etc.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I really appreciate being able to come back again and again and learn about everyone's experiences.

Moose--I did get my cories at tanks, but now that I think of it, I'm not sure it was the pandas. I have 4 species of cories in my 50. :roll:

I'm not sure if all panda cories are captive bred, but inbreeding could certainly be a problem.

julicat I was thinking along the same lines.. My pleco was playing with my pandas all the time and I am quiet sure they did not enjoy it. I could almost predict which panda would be going next because it would be hiding for extended period of time beside a rock or something like that.. The last three took to hiding in the same spot. I think my larger fish / the pleco and the Rainbows were just too much for them. If you find anything about making them hiding places and such please do share.

I've always seen them in the store tiny as can be, including the ones I had recently. They lived for a little less than 2 months. They were good at hiding and sometimes I thought they were gone and would suddenly appear. Even at the pet store when I got them the owner would lift a piece of driftwood and there would be a whole bunch that we hiding.

from what I've heard they are difficult to captive breed so I wouldn't be suprised if most are wild imports... ??

6.3.04 10:29 am Two panda corys still alive. Moved light to brighten half of tank and leave other half in shadows - the half where one of the pandas rested. That panda's looking a little thin. Distracted tetras with their floating food and then dropped sinking pellet a few pandalengths from panda. After a moment it started to enliven, as if responding to smell of food. Swam right over pellet into the lit side, where no bit of food is likely to hit the gravel. Some scavengers. Ha!

But they're both still alive. Tick tick tick...

ya tick tick tick.. Mine started loosing color and started looking thin... It was exactly like you describe.. sometimes they ate and I got my hopes up. Fed them at night (hoping that would help).

The thinner / paler the more I expected to see them gone. They went one by one like that...

I did feed flake / pellet / frozen bloodworms.

Back
Top Bottom