Panda cory "off"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys. I've had the corys for almost two and a half weeks now--tank is cycled at 0, 0, and anywhere between 5 and 20. One of the panda corys is a little off. She's spending a fair amount of time resting--on the substrate, on top of the rocks--when previously all 3 were moving constantly. I've seen her eating. She also seems to have scraped her nose, and has what looks almost like a red pimple under her left eye. She'll rest for a while then go back to following the other two around for a while then go back to resting. It looks like the male is wanting to spawn. Is it because she's getting hounded? Something else? An isolate and medicate, or just keep up with water quality situation? I noticed it last night when I got home from being out of town for a couple days--water quality was fine when I got home. Like I said, she just seems off. I can understand scraping her head--they zip around like puppies--but the mark under her eye, I'm not so sure about.

Any input would be appreciated.

^_^

Pics of the damage would be helpful. Are it's barbels damaged? Are there any other fish in your tank that could have caused the damage?

Post some pics and someone more knowledgable than I will post some advice.

I should have thought of pics myself. Whoops..and thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if my phone can get that detailed. For a fish that likes to rest, she sure likes doing it in the worst places for pics.

Barbells are fine. Only other critters were corys and nerite snails. I may very well be overreacting...saw some sand specks and had a moment of freak until they fell off. It would be my luck that illness showed up after my 2.5 week quarantine.

A pic would help if you can get it. I have Pandas too and when I first got them they were active every night then they slowed down. Out of the 6 I have I might see 2-3 shimmying up the glass in the evenings and the rest like to hang out in a shady area. If she's eating and moving some I'd just keep an eye on her and keep your water clean and hope the injuries heal. If they start to look infected then you might have to treat with something, probably an antibacterial med.

Ok, got some pics. Not the best, but you can make out the bump under and just behind her eye. There's also a white spot on her nose that I'm not sure is skin or the first signs of ich...it looks bigger than the specks on pictures I've seen of ich, but never seen it in real life. Whatcha think?

img_1763628_0_932ec6ebbca4b02508f1d613f37133a1.jpg

img_1763628_1_f0cab23fad5b01de256b03ffe7b2bd8b.jpg

img_1763628_2_117201b67d7783a241dc42553bee4fa1.jpg

You can see the white speck better in this pic.

img_1763628_3_48e116a85363889eac227858c0821172.jpg

I appreciate the help, guys. ^_^

How are the fins? Any deterioration?

Does the white stuff look fluffy or fuzzy?

How are the fins? Any deterioration?

Does the white stuff look fluffy or fuzzy?

Fins are fine. Two of the pandas are hanging out under the driftwood on the sand--not sure which ones--but I've seen all three swimming around. Now the Sterba's look like they have some white spots on their fins--shiny, rather than cottony. It could be sand since they've had sand particles on them numerous times in the last couple weeks. The Sterba's move to fast to get a good look at them, and they don't hold still like the Pandas do.

The spot under the panda's eye appears to be healing--it's not red anymore--but I'm getting more worried about the white specks. 2.5 week quarantine, you'd think it would have showed up before now and I see no specks on the Black Neons, but the possibility makes me wonder if raising the temp and treating with cory and invert safe stuff might not be a bad idea--there's one herbal one for sale that gets mixed reviews, but it seems to have to do with how far into the disease they were when they treated.

Back
Top Bottom