Panda cory with fungus growing on a side fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, just asking your advice on what to do with this panda cory. It appears to have whitish fuzz (fungus?) growing on the bottom half of its left side flipper. He doesn't seem to be much disturbed by it, was browsing around the tank like normal and swimming without difficulty... but its a big amount of fuzz for such a small fish.
He normally hangs out almost all day in a cave with the other pandas.

None of the other tankmates seem to have any problems. Not sure if its contagious.
I can try to get my quarantine tank out, but I hate to traumatize the guy by netting him / moving him away from the other pandas if its not necessary.

Any idea where I should go from here?

how is the panda? did you medicate for fungus? extra gravel vac? particularly around the cave?

I had a convict cichlid almost die from fungus infection. I gave him salt dips twice a day (would have done 3 if I could). I didn't have a quarantine tank at the time or I would have isolated him. I also medicated the tank with an antifungal and raised the temp a couple degrees.
If you use an antifungal, be sure to check whether the directions say it affects the biological filter. Just do frequent water tests to stay on the safe side.

I had a cory with a white tuft on its dorsal fin that I treated with a combination of Maroxy & Melafix . After 5 days of Maroxy with little result , I did a water change & tried the Melafix in combo with the Maroxy & it worked like a charm . Unfortunately , I can't be certain which med did the trick . The Melafix can be used at full strength with tetras , but I'm not sure about the Maroxy .

I had a gourami with white fuzz on it's side looked like cotton...I treated it with Maracyn-two and it was gone within 4-5 days, how ever it came back few days later...I treated it again with maracyn-two and after it cleared up...I added aquari-sol for a couple of days and it never came back again.

Back
Top Bottom