Pangasius wounded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoxRaid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had left to go on vacation last weekend and had left an automatic feeder on to feed my fish. My pangasius was looking healthy and fine during that time. I come back and he now has a huge gash it looks like by his nose it also could be infected. Ik they get startled easily. I can't give him medication because not all the fish have this and it could hurt them. I called to find out what I could do and they said to isolate him. The only spare tank I have is a 5 gallon and he's about 4in now and Ik they need a lot of space. Will it heal over time do I need to take the decor out? He's housed with a pictus 2 other baby pangasius and a pleco.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130509_184122.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130509_184122.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 69
If it is just a cut, it will likely heal in time. Fish have immune systems like you do to take care of things like cuts and scrapes. If it is infected, that may require some invention.
First off, have you recently checked your water parameters? Clean water is paramount for a fish's immune system to function properly.
I cannot really tell from your picture, so what signs are there that make it look infected?

If it is just a cut, it will likely heal in time. Fish have immune systems like you do to take care of things like cuts and scrapes. If it is infected, that may require some invention.
First off, have you recently checked your water parameters? Clean water is paramount for a fish's immune system to function properly.
I cannot really tell from your picture, so what signs are there that make it look infected?
Late reply I lost my Internet for a bit. It looks infected to me be because it's torn a bit open so I see a bright red. There is also a little hole in his dorsal fin that wasn't there before and what looks like a little spot on his body where his skin use to be.

Sorry for my delay. How is he doing?
A bit of red does not necessarily mean infection, but it is tough to say without a good picture.
Did you ever check the parameters?

Sorry for my delay. How is he doing?
A bit of red does not necessarily mean infection, but it is tough to say without a good picture.
Did you ever check the parameters?

Well I ended up treating him with medication. And during the time it was a bit of red but it got so bad that it was eating his flesh so a chunk of where his mouth is like gone but it is definitely healing now since I tried a different brand of medicine. It always seems like something new happens though cuz now he's suddenly got ich and I keep the water very clean so I think one of the fish I had in with him before brought it in.

Currently I can't take photos though because I am out and about for the morning.

Good job treating him.
Ich often comes in on new fish, and it doesn't always show up right away because the fish's immune system can help keep it at bay to some extent. I have always had good luck treating ich with just heat. I used salt once with the heat and that worked too. You can certainly treat both things at once without stressing the fish too much.

Good job treating him.
Ich often comes in on new fish, and it doesn't always show up right away because the fish's immune system can help keep it at bay to some extent. I have always had good luck treating ich with just heat. I used salt once with the heat and that worked too. You can certainly treat both things at once without stressing the fish too much.

I am trying salt now currently but it does not say if after a certain time limit I have to remove it. Do I remove after 24 hours or can it sit in for awhile?

Back
Top Bottom