Paradise Gourami...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoeZ822

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Paradise Gourami that I just learned on Saturday morning is a jumper!!! I am still confused how he jumped out of my 29 gallon tank that has a full cover on it. The only opening is about an inch on each side of the filter.
Anyway, I definitely thought he was dead being that he was not moving and the side that was facing up was completely black. To my surprise, he started to flap around when I tried to pick him up with a napkin. I quickly set up a "hospital tank" to put in him in. He wasn't doing very well for the first day - he wouldn't eat and barely swam. The next day, I purchased API's Stress Coat to add to the water. He definitely started to get some of his energy and appetite back. He lost most of his dead fins throughout Sunday and Monday and his body is no longer black. He definitely has his full appetite back and he will swim around the tank but he is limited since it is only a small fish bowl (1/2 gallon I believe). His body seems a little pale in color and his fins aren't as bright red as they used to be. I do daily water changes on the hospital tank and add new Stress Coat with each water change.

I do not want to put him back into the main tank with 5 tiger barbs and 1 gold gourami until he is fully recovered.

Any suggests on anything else I can do for him?? How long should I wait until I put him back into the tank?? Should I get a bigger hospital tank for him?? Will his fins grow back?? Anything I can use to help speed up the growth of the fins??

Please help...

I would get him a bigger tank. 5 gallon would be fine, even a Rubbermaid tub. Clean water and good food will heal him up. Watch for infections and good luck with him.

I agree with Rich, as usual. :) Also in addition to water changes make sure that there is a small amount of current in the QT. Lots of current will make him use up energy that he will need to heal. Fish can be suprising at times.

Back
Top Bottom