Parasite??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracephjosey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was looking at my fish today and noticed my Blackmoor has something on tail fin. It looked just like a piece of flake fish food. However on closer inspection it is well and truly stuck on the tail and seems to be irritatingImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402267708.937338.jpg the fish. Even more worrying is that it looks like the "parasite?" Is fluttering or vibration..... What on earth is it? He also looks like he may have a fungus as scales looking a bit cloudy in general...All my other fish (including this one) all seem very healthy and water quality is great! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402267226.099709.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402267459.379579.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402267558.741871.jpg

Pic is not too clear but it looks like fish lice (Argulus). Hopeful others will chime in with a treatment plan. Can't help you out with the lighter colored scales; you might be correct with the fungus.

Thanks :) I'll look it up and hopefully someone here will also advise me. The reason it looks so blurred is cos whatever it is
, it's wee legs are moving 10 to the dozen!

Hi! Can you please post your tank size, stock and exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Are you testing with liquid or strips? Water change schedule? Filtration? Is this fish or any other fish new/not properly quarantined?

The pictures are not very clear but I agree it may be a fish louse. Treatment needs to be addressed as a tank issue but it will be dependent upon the availability of specific meds in the country in which you reside. The moor's skin issues may be a parasitic issue or it may be the direct result of water quality issues. More information will help us to help you better!

That is definitely an Argulus It can be removed by holding the fish in a wet net and gently pushing the louse off usng a cotton bud (I have removed many with my fingernail!). A strong salt dip of 20g aquarium salt per litre water (use water from the tank) in a separate container may cause the louse to leave the fish..... leave the fish in the dip for up to 45 minutes, but remove if signs of heavy stress occur.

The slimy skin and fin damage on all your fish is a concern and I would suggest that other parasites are present, probably Trichodina, but maybe Chilodonella.

Chilodonella will be killed by the above salt treatment quite easily and it can also be effective against trichodina.

As suggested, check your water parameters - water quality is of paramount importance in any disease situation.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the fish died this morning..... I had been treating the tank but looks like I was too late. It was definitely lice as it came off the fish and attached to the side if the tank and I could see it clearly. I'm getting my water tested tomorrow as one fish is still showing signs of fin rot. Will be complaining to Pets at Home again as I lost my entire stock of fish just last month and now this has happened with my replacements. I have a 100 litre tank with a Blackmoor and 2 fancy so not going to add any more... My poor son was crying this morning (they are his fish) he was upset at all his fish dying .... These fish just set up in new tank for only about a month after my last disaster

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the fish died this morning..... I had been treating the tank but looks like I was too late. It was definitely lice as it came off the fish and attached to the side if the tank and I could see it clearly. I'm getting my water tested tomorrow as one fish is still showing signs of fin rot. Will be complaining to Pets at Home again as I lost my entire stock of fish just last month and now this has happened with my replacements. I have a 100 litre tank with a Blackmoor and 2 fancy so not going to add any more... My poor son was crying this morning (they are his fish) he was upset at all his fish dying .... These fish just set up in new tank for only about a month after my last disaster

What were you treating the tank with? Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph?

Its most likely that the your prior disaster and health issues now (aside from lice) are all the direct result of unhealthy water in an uncycled and overstocked tank. Pets at home generally ranks at the top of the offenders for uneducated and completely misinformed fish advice, particularly concerning fancies.

With four fancies in an uncycled tank about 25g, you honestly you should be changing most of their water daily. 25g is really only suitable for single fancy short term with a good diet and a hefty wc schedule. If you are unsure of how large they grow, please check out the stickied visual perspective thread (Why Fancy Goldfish Require Big Tanks) at the top of the "Coldwater fish" section of our forum. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions!!

Thanks for your reply. I think you are completely right! I have been doing 25% water changes every other day. I get pets at home to test my water properly every week but as I've no car right now I can't get my water tested till next week. I treated the tank with MELAFIX

Unfortunately, melafix is pretty useless. They need lots and lots of healthy water. That should be the main priority right now. Healthy water can work miracles for minor issues and it's a preventative for many health problems. I would check online (amazon, eBay, aquatic suppliers) for a decent liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit. This will save you from trips to the store and allow you to test your water at any time. In the meantime, I would start changing 50+% of their water daily. If you can manage twice daily, this would be more helpful to the fish in distress. Please keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions or concerns! :)

Back
Top Bottom