parasite ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
anyone know what this is on the caudal region? see it sticking out on his left side in the 1st pic. you can see it closer in the 2nd pic on the right side. he also seems to be losing some color.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 81
I can't be sure what kind of parasite, maybe flukes. Jungle is a good medication. You could try the parasite buddies, it is a fizzing tablet. Keep in mind though that medications can severely affect your beneficial bacteria. Might want to consider QT.

Last edited:
seems to have affected only one oto. the other three are fine. do parasites get transferred to other fish? Or, are more parasites in the water and will infect the other fish?

It is certainly possible. I would treat the one and keep an eye on the others rather than risk your cycle.

you mean QT him? so the jungle meds will effect the beneficial bacteria? their website says it doesn't.

I always err on the side of caution. You can treat the main tank, I would just keep a close eye on the parameters.

So, just as I was about to do the parasite med, I noticed something had changed. Now it looks almost like the thing burrowed into him or maybe it's fungus from a physical wound. There's no redness around it. And he doesn't seem to be bothered. No flashing. He's eating and swimming well and schooling with the others. I'm not sure what it is anymore. Under the microscope, I don't see it moving at all...it doesn't look alive.

Everyone in the tank seems healthy and I've been keeping a close eye on them.

This pic isnt' great but it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom