Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Parasite ID?

Can anyone help me figure out what this is? The fish has had the raised spot for months, but now it looks like something is emerging. Fish is active and eating normally. No signs of sickness at all. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_144952.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	311418Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_144843.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	311419

Old 12-30-2018, 02:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It seems as if this type of issue has been coming up frequently with goldfish here. It appears to be a cyst.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've been researching, but can't seem to find the best treatment, if any, I should use.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would try a bacterial treatment and a parasitic treatment just in case. If it's truly a cyst there's really not much you can do. If it's a tumor there is nothing you can do.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
It seems as if this type of issue has been coming up frequently with goldfish here. It appears to be a cyst.

This is true. I had an orange moor goldfish with a similar problem recently (he passed away). In my case, it was either lymphocystis or fish pox (no medicine I tried helped). He was still active and ate food like a piggy. However, whichever sickness it was, he had it for months with no other symptoms than cysts that grew and fell off his body regularly.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

About 2 months ago I treated the tank with levamisole. No change. I recently tried API General Cure, and Im still not seeing much improvement. Bummer too, this is one of my original goldfish. I dont like throwing meds in the tank, but everyone is fine, including nerites and panda cories. Guess Ill see how it goes and hope for the best. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I forgot to add that I have also added several Prazi-pro treatments.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

More than likely, if it's what I think it is, there is no cure. Medication is just going to weaken your goldfish as it's pretty harsh on them.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2 View Post
About 2 months ago I treated the tank with levamisole. No change. I recently tried API General Cure, and Im still not seeing much improvement. Bummer too, this is one of my original goldfish. I dont like throwing meds in the tank, but everyone is fine, including nerites and panda cories. Guess Ill see how it goes and hope for the best. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I forgot to add that I have also added several Prazi-pro treatments.
How big is your tank? I have a camalanus worm issues myself with guppies. How did you treat your tank? Mine is a 30 tall. Will the levamisole hydrochloride hurt my fry? They are only 2 days max. They are in breeder nets so easy to remove them. I'm sorry to see about your goldfish
Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlover99 View Post
How big is your tank? I have a camalanus worm issues myself with guppies. How did you treat your tank? Mine is a 30 tall. Will the levamisole hydrochloride hurt my fry? They are only 2 days max. They are in breeder nets so easy to remove them. I'm sorry to see about your goldfish
My tank is 75 gallons. I've treated with several meds that are mentioned in the previous post. I have read that levamisole will treat camallanus worms.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, the growth is Lymphocystis. This is a pic of one of my Mbuna that became infected with the virus. The growth eventually grew so big that it severely inhibited the Mbuna's ability to swim. Despite what has been reported about Lymphocystis, in this case the cyst did not explode, and the virus did not spread to the tankmates. Apparently this particular cichlid had a vulnerability which made it suseptable to the virus. Unfortunately there is no cure. In some cases the infected fish's immune system suppresses the virus and the cyst gradually falls off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181206_122141.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	311601  

Tags
parasite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com