Parasite ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone help me figure out what this is? The fish has had the raised spot for months, but now it looks like something is emerging. Fish is active and eating normally. No signs of sickness at all. 20181229_144952.jpeg20181229_144843.jpg

It seems as if this type of issue has been coming up frequently with goldfish here. It appears to be a cyst.

I've been researching, but can't seem to find the best treatment, if any, I should use.

I would try a bacterial treatment and a parasitic treatment just in case. If it's truly a cyst there's really not much you can do. If it's a tumor there is nothing you can do.

It seems as if this type of issue has been coming up frequently with goldfish here. It appears to be a cyst.

This is true. I had an orange moor goldfish with a similar problem recently (he passed away). In my case, it was either lymphocystis or fish pox (no medicine I tried helped). He was still active and ate food like a piggy. However, whichever sickness it was, he had it for months with no other symptoms than cysts that grew and fell off his body regularly.

About 2 months ago I treated the tank with levamisole. No change. I recently tried API General Cure, and I´m still not seeing much improvement. Bummer too, this is one of my original goldfish. I don´t like throwing meds in the tank, but everyone is fine, including nerites and panda cories. Guess I´ll see how it goes and hope for the best. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I forgot to add that I have also added several Prazi-pro treatments.

Last edited:
More than likely, if it's what I think it is, there is no cure. Medication is just going to weaken your goldfish as it's pretty harsh on them.

About 2 months ago I treated the tank with levamisole. No change. I recently tried API General Cure, and I´m still not seeing much improvement. Bummer too, this is one of my original goldfish. I don´t like throwing meds in the tank, but everyone is fine, including nerites and panda cories. Guess I´ll see how it goes and hope for the best. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I forgot to add that I have also added several Prazi-pro treatments.
How big is your tank? I have a camalanus worm issues myself with guppies. How did you treat your tank? Mine is a 30 tall. Will the levamisole hydrochloride hurt my fry? They are only 2 days max. They are in breeder nets so easy to remove them. I'm sorry to see about your goldfish

How big is your tank? I have a camalanus worm issues myself with guppies. How did you treat your tank? Mine is a 30 tall. Will the levamisole hydrochloride hurt my fry? They are only 2 days max. They are in breeder nets so easy to remove them. I'm sorry to see about your goldfish

My tank is 75 gallons. I've treated with several meds that are mentioned in the previous post. I have read that levamisole will treat camallanus worms.

IMO, the growth is Lymphocystis. This is a pic of one of my Mbuna that became infected with the virus. The growth eventually grew so big that it severely inhibited the Mbuna's ability to swim. Despite what has been reported about Lymphocystis, in this case the cyst did not explode, and the virus did not spread to the tankmates. Apparently this particular cichlid had a vulnerability which made it suseptable to the virus. Unfortunately there is no cure. In some cases the infected fish's immune system suppresses the virus and the cyst gradually falls off.

Attachments

• 20181206_122141.jpg
    20181206_122141.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom