parasite treatment help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeneequa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 angel fish and 5 rainbow fish. They have internal parasites. I have concluded this based on white stringy poop, increasing general malaise of 2 fish (2 other fish died about 6 weeks ago), and actually seeing thin stringy worms swimming in the tank (i know, gross). I have begun to use Parasite Guard and have started adding "extra" salt. Instructions for parasite guard are vague.. how long do you keep filter out after administering treatment. How many treatment should you give? How soon should fish improve? Also, How much salt is right to add to help kill parasites and how often should it be added? And for how long?
I have had the tank 1 year and have not added any new fish or plants. I change 10 gallons (20%) once a week and the nitrate/ammonia levels are good.
Thank you!

I had a problem very similar to yours about a month ago. I used the same parasite guard meds you're using, but I learned that the actual parasite was a type of worm. Parasite Guard won't kill the actual worm, meaning you can't completely get rid of the parasites without giving them something that will...
Maybe your problem isn't this serious though...is the area and the fins around the anus area red? Or are there little red threads that you can see?

My go-to treatment for internal parasites is metronidazole. Parasite clear tabs work pretty good but I prefer to give a medicated food. Try Angelfish for medicated foods, they work much better and don't require you to treat the entire tank.

abrage22 said:
I had a problem very similar to yours about a month ago. I used the same parasite guard meds you're using, but I learned that the actual parasite was a type of worm. Parasite Guard won't kill the actual worm, meaning you can't completely get rid of the parasites without giving them something that will...
Maybe your problem isn't this serious though...is the area and the fins around the anus area red? Or are there little red threads that you can see?

Yes, I can see small red protrusions on a few of the fish, as well as the white poop, and actually seeing worms in the water. Did you give your tank anything else to kill the actual worms?. How long did you leave the filter out after giving them the medicine? Did you use the medicine more than once? Are your fish ok? Thanks for the help. :)

Yes, I can see small red protrusions on a few of the fish, as well as the white poop, and actually seeing worms in the water. Did you give your tank anything else to kill the actual worms?. How long did you leave the filter out after giving them the medicine? Did you use the medicine more than once? Are your fish ok? Thanks for the help. :)

I fed my fish a medicated flake food, it contains levamisole which is kills the camellanus worm (thats the worm my fish had). I'm guessing you have something very similar, if not that exact worm. I got the food from angelsplus.com
Fish Antibiotic Medication Look for the De-Worm 3 Flake.

I don't think there's any reason to leave your filter out, just keep it on. Just take out the carbon if you have some in there.

What have you been doing with the tetra tablet meds?

Thank you so much for the advice :) I have a 55 gallon tank and added 5 tabs (as per instructions). I changed approx 20% water and repeated after 2 days for a total of 3 times so far. I did remove the carbon filter (actually a set of 2) for 24 hours after the 2 treatments and still have it out now after the third. I don't exactly know why I've done it this way. I guess It was part following instructions and part on instinct (as the instructions are so vague). I also cleaned the whole filter, added extra aquarium salt ( i was just adding in a bit), and raised the water temperature. 2 rainbow fish have not eaten in some time and are the primary sickies. Another rainbowfish has stopped eating just 2 days ago but still looks good. I saw 2 of the angel fish actually eat worms in front of me! Horrifying! They look healthy now, but I worry about them. They, of course, are very pretty and have great personality, but they also lay eggs (I've yet to have a baby) and even now are cleaning their special decoration ;) I so don't want them to get sick, and my 2 primary sickies are still sickly looking :( I will definitely get that food/medicine while my angels are still eating!

Back
Top Bottom