Parasites in my tank? Gourami and Platy died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chillystorm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am relatively new to the fish keeping world; I've only had my tank for a couple of months. I work at PetSmart, so I just know a bit from my training there and from the longtime customers as well. When I decided to get my tank I did research online on everything I could think of, but so far I haven't been very fortunate in my fish. Maybe you guys can help me out with my latest problem
On the 3rd I moved my high fin platy into a 10 gallon tank. I kept all the same gravel from my cycled 8.5 gallon and tested the water every day to make sure there were no spikes in anything. All water parameters stayed exactly the same, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0-10, and ph at 7.4. The fish seemed happy and healthy in her new home, so on the 9th I added a powder blue dwarf gourami. They were both perfectly fine for 3 days, including the day I brought him home. On the 12th the gourami wouldn't eat, but I thought that could be natural and I decided not to worry as long as he ate the next day. The next day my gourami couldn't swim upright and was wobbling from side to side. He also seemed to be having trouble reaching the surface. I thought swim bladder disease, but he had no signs of bloating, lumps, curved spine, or a tendency to have one part of his body floating higher than another. Once he got to the top he used a plant to balance himself and stayed there all day. His symptoms didn't indicate Dwarf Gourami Disease from what I read, and I finally concluded that perhaps he had a neurological disorder that was beginning to manifest suddenly. I didn't quarantine him because he showed no signs of an outward parasite and I was worried about stressing him out even more. At the end of each evening, around 7, he would start to act better and swim around semi-normally, but every morning he was acting badly again. I was testing water, asking co-workers, and doing research during every break in school and work that I had, but I came up with nothing. He didn't ever eat, not even when food floated into his mouth. I had decided to euthanize him if he didn't eat in the next two days, but on the 14th he died. I was at work and had my mom checking him, she said at noon he was sporadically swimming from one side of the tank to the other, and at 2 he was dead. She removed him immediately. I went upstairs after work at 7 and was met by the sight of my little platy lying on her side panting at the bottom of the tank. She would get up every once in a while and try to swim, but would end up doing barrel roles till she crashed into the gravel. She had been perfectly fine this morning, and mom said she was at 2 as well. I was desperately googling on my phone on how to give a salt bath. Having now ruled out DGD and neurological disorders I was leaning towards internal parasite problem and didn't know what else to do. By the time I got the salt bath ready (about 10 or 15 minutes) she was already dead too. Where did I go wrong? All water levels are steady and acceptable, temperature is at 76 at night and 78 in the day, and I clean my tank weekly. If this was a parasite will it need to be treated before I add new fish? How would I go about doing that? I've considered taking everything out, cleaning it all, and starting over with a fishless cycle; I'd hate to do all that though, especially if I don't know what the problem is and it could just happen again. Finally, if you don’t think it’s a parasite then what could it be that makes a fish act like these two did and is contagious?
I gravel vacuum my tank and do a 25% water change every week. My fish were fed Aquian tropical flakes daily with the filters off so the food wouldn't get sucked up, and after 5 to 20 minutes I would remove all uneaten food and restart the filters. I test my water about once a week, sometimes more, and the levels are constant at what I mentioned in the paragraph above. My 10 gallon tank has 5 gallons worth of an under gravel filter and a 10 gallon power filter. I do not have a quarantine tank, but after this I’ve decided to get a 1 gallon one. Getting bigger tanks is sadly out of the question at this stage in my life.
Sorry for the long post, I just thought the more info the better, and I really want to work this out. I get attached to my fish very quickly, and seeing them suffer and die is so horrible. I want to give my fish a good life but so far they haven’t lasted longer than a month. I've googled this all I can and I've asked many people, even posted this on some other forum, but nobody has any ideas and my post was never responded to on the other forum. Please help! Any advise is welcome.

Hi, welcome to AA :)

I don't suspect internal parasites there due to the speed of the problem mainly. I'd favour either something about the water they don't like or the tank is still maturing or bacterial. I assume looked ok in store?

I assume you are running the filters 24hrs and at night? (Sorry if it was mentioned). Were the fish struggling with the flow rate or all ok?

Are you getting your fish from a nearby store with probably similar water and then adjusting them slowly to your tank water? Could be worth testing for kh/gh if you can do it for free at the store. Are you on town water? What water conditioner are you using?

Were there any marks or anything on the fish? Pooping ok? Nice belly on them?

Hello, thanks for responding! They did look okay in the store, the store had 3 of the dwarf gouramis and one is still there doing fine. The platy lasted over two weeks with me between my 8.5 gallon and my 10 gallon, so I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything wrong with her until the gourami incident. Both filters run 24 hours normally. When my gourami first got sick I turned the power filter off for a few hours until he stabilized himself with a plant, and then I turned the power filter back on but turned the undergravel off as it seemed to be disturbing the water too much for him to be comfortable resting at the top. The fish never seemed to struggle with the current until they got sick. In fact the platy almost seemed to play the current of the power filter like it was a slide. If she ever were to get tired she could go to the other side of the tank that doesn't have the direct flow from the power filter. My ph value is a bit higher than what the pet store is usually at, but all other values are the same or nearly the same. KH is the same, but I'm not sure what GH is? I do use tap water with API stress coat and stress zyme added in. When I add fish or move them for any reason I add a little stress coat the the tank as well, about a quarter of what is recommended for 10 gallons just to help with the stress. I don't drip-aclimate the fish, maybe I should. I float their bag for 10-15 minutes and then add a cup of my water. I wait and float the bag for another 10 minutes and net the fish out of the bag into my tank. The gourami I never did see poop, but in my gravel vacuuming there seemed to be an increase in the waste I was picking up. He had a good shape, not skinny or bulging, until he got sick and stopped eating. The platy wasn't eating or pooping as much during the time her tank mate was sick , but she was still doing it and never did seem to lose a noticeable amount of weight. No marks or loss of color were noticed by me. Fins were all in tact and un-clamped.

I am assuming you have dechlorinated the water.

I would also assume the tank is not properly cycled yet, sometimes they take awhile. Or maybe a mini-cycle caused by cleaning of the filter medium or a very large water change. You are working with a small amount of water, so it would not take much to change the parameters.

Mind you these are assumptions.

I would get 1 fish to start out again and see how it goes after a week or two.

I was under the impression that if ammonia and nitrites were zero and nitrates were low then the tank was cycled. Is that incorrect? I do dechlorinate the my water. I use stress coat and stress zyme whenever I add water.

You are correct, I glanced at your article...I didn't see you used those...my bad.

Just a side note on my experience and this is just my story, not advice.

I used stress zyme once and it killed my fish. I had a 10 tank that was 1 yr old that housed by betta and at that time also cory cat fry that were 3 months old. I added a flower shrimp and thinking the tank might need a bit more bacteria, I added a tsp. of stress zyme, within 24 hours all fish were dead. I assumed it was not the shrimp as he was moved to another tank and everyone was fine so I concluded it was a bad batch the stress zyme. Because my thinking was how long can bacteria live in a bottle and still be productive?

No problem. I realize I wrote a book and that not everyone will read all that. ;) Sorry to hear about your stress zyme experience I suppose it is possible for the bacteria to go bad and for 25% water changes it's not really needed. I'll be sure to check my exoneration dates on bacteria supplements!

I was under the impression that if ammonia and nitrites were zero and nitrates were low then the tank was cycled. Is that incorrect? I do dechlorinate the my water. I use stress coat and stress zyme whenever I add water.

I think that's exactly right

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aquarium advice should really add "solution post" highlight to every response to a problem that was affective. I'd really enjoy reading through some instant solutions to strange problems like the one OP is having

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gh is general hardness. Unlikely to be an issue but if you can do a test for free, worth a check.

A tank may be cycled but it may not be mature (this gets an argument, sometimes I wonder if that means the tank just can't cope with the sudden new stocking level) but I take it to refer to an established tank, growing bio-film, etc. Neon tetras for example I have seen suggestions these should not be added to a new cycled tank.

"until he got sick and stopped eating" makes me think that for some reason (maybe just transfer stress) he picked up a bacterial infection and just couldn't cope. Then the platy got it (or it was your water but I can't figure how as readings look good). Everything else reads fine. I had a similliar problem with a product like stress zyme where I dosed and fish got sick. Otherwise I use stress zyme with no issues. I would try that with the next fish and don't dose the stress zyme at the same time just in case. I assume with these products that they pick good sludge-destroying bacteria but have wondered how selective they can be.

Back
Top Bottom