Patchy Clown Loach... Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper07

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

This is my first time posting, hope I do everything right.

I set up my 50 gallon (bought used) about 6 weeks ago. I rinsed the gravel, tank and ornaments in water but left the filter to help cycle the water faster. Since I have had it I've done 2 x 20% water changes and cleaned the filter out once.

I brought the water to a fish store a month ago and the shopkeeper said I was good to start introducing fish. The 4 x white cloud minnows I put in to start held up well so shortly after I introduced 3 x clown loaches (I plan on getting 3 more), a Chinese algae eater and a large Synodontis catfish.

This morning I noticed one of my clown loaches was missing. After looking around the tank I eventually found him - dried up on the carpet between the tank and the couch :( He managed to jump the 5 inches required to clear the tank (no lid - looking for one now!!). In the process of looking for him I noticed another one of my loaches had some weird patches on him, the best I can describe them is kind of shiny and white. I will attach some photos.

First thing that came to mind is ich as I know that clown loaches are prone to it but after looking at photos online of ich I'm not convinced that's what it is. Below are my water parameters tested today:

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm
Temp: 79

I know my nitrate is high. I think it may that the carbon in my filter is old but I don't have any to replace it with (can get some in the next few days). It came with the filter (used) and I have no idea how long it was used for before I got it. Would it be better to just remove the carbon for now and run the filter without it? I have heard that when carbon gets old it starts releasing what it has previously absorbed.

Any ideas on what is wrong with my loach? Did the other one jump out due to stress?? From what I can see the 3rd loach looks ok but it's hard to get a good look at him as he is really quick and hides a lot.

Thank you for reading!

Adam:fish1:

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 92
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 85
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 86
I'm not real sure about the patch, maybe some sort of bacterial infection. I'm sure a more experienced member who is better at diagnosing will come along shortly.

Carbon removes toxins from water, it does not remove nitrates. The only way to get nitrates down is to do partial water changes. This is why it is recommended to do weekly maintenance on your aquarium, consisting of gravel vacuuming, glass cleaning, and a 20%-50% water change (depending on nitrate level).

The high nitrate level is stressing your fish out. That would explain why the loach jumped out of the aquarium. Stressed fish are also far more prone to contracting diseases.

The first thing I would do is a 50% water change today, and another 50% change tomorrow. That should get your nitrates around 20ppm which is a much more tolerable level for fish. Generally speaking, you want to try and keep nitrates under 20ppm. Your loach may recover on his own once the nitrates are down, just keep an eye on him.

Live plants is really the only thing to keep nitrates down outside of having a wet/dry sump system. Unless the tank is heavily planted water changes will still be required once nitrates get high enough to warrant one.

Don't forget to use a water conditioner and match the temp anytime you change water.

Thanks for the advice!

I did a 50% water change (tap water treated with Prime) and then treated the tank with a dose of Prime (I read a double dose is safe and can further reduce nitrate levels).

An hour later the nitrate levels appear to be the same (80ppm), although admittedly I have a hard time distinguishing between my test kit's red for 40ppm and 80ppm. With that much new (treated) water shouldn't the nitrate levels have dropped quite quickly?

Anyone else have an idea as to what the coloration on the clown loach might be?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 89
Looks like the picture didn't upload on the previous post.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 74
When the nitrates get that high its hard to distinguish. 80ppm could really be 120ppm. 40ppm and 80ppm don't look all that much different either.

Did you vacuum the gravel? That can affect your levels too since all the waste stuck in the gravel gets into the water column.

I'm sure you took almost half of the nitrates out of the tank, your fish appreciate it even though the nitrates are still high. Just keep doing 50% changes daily until you get under 20ppm. I'd keep vacuuming the gravel too as excess waste will cause nitrates to rise faster than normal. It can take several cleanings to get the waste out if you go awhile without doing it.

Once you get the nitrates down establish a weekly maintenance schedule.

So I have done 4 x 50% water changes and the nitrates still seem to be the same! I am treating the water with Prime which says it detoxifies nitrates, what is going on!?

I skipped one day of doing water changes to put new carbon into the filter as I was overdue.

Could it be that my test kit (API Freshwater Master Test Kit) is giving me bad readings for nitrate? I would have thought that replacing 100 gallons of water in the last 5 days would have yielded some results.

Yeah I would think your nitrates should be low by now. How are the fish doing?

Have you tried to test your tap water to see if it has any nitrates?

Also, the nitrate test is a bit funky. You have to shake bottle #2 for a full 30 seconds, some also bang it on a hard surface during the 30 seconds. Add bottle #2 to the test tube, then shake the test tube for a full minute. These steps are critical to ensure an accurate test.

Here's API's video on performing the nitrate test:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/clown-loach-botia-macracantha-submitted-by-sudz-62119.html

That should get you started. Clown Loach like good water. The jumper probably tried to find fresher pastures so to speak. I keep my shoal in a topless tank and have done for many years. (The whole time I've had them)

I haven't witnessed any jumpers. Make sure they have plenty of options for hiding. Ideally the tank should be designed around there needs specifically with other fish being chosen to suit the loach environment.

What amount of food are you giving? That can lead to high readings. (Just a suggestion)

Back
Top Bottom