Patruding Scales, HELP!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi , i have a very old red platy and it has been ill for about a week now (sluggish, loss of appetite, sticking at bottom of tank, and floating also it had spasms a few days ago) but now its scales are extremely patruded and it looks incredibly ill , pleasse help fast!

Rich is right, as it's a part of fish keeping. If he's suffering it's the most humane thing to do. There is a sticky at the top of this section to help with the process. I hate that part of the hobby but the brightside means a trip to the LFS to buy platy 2.0!

I have put it in a container inside the tank against the glass so the other fish stop bothering it , i think tonight is its last night tbh :'(

Unfortunetly i had to destroy the fish today , humanely , it was a very quick un-stressful process, im now worried because another of the alot younger platy's has a what patch with a black spot in the middle, he has had this for about a month now , the patch is starting to go abit oranger and almost opaque!!, he is in any other ways perfectly healthy , eating very well and swimming great , thanks

I found out that this discolourasion and black spot are due to pregnancy :D

Sounds like your fish had dropsy. Nasty stuff. I just dealt with it myself. How are you water parameters? Sometimes it's impossible to find the cause of dropsy, but the first things to look at are water parameters. Are you testing regularly for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Back
Top Bottom