Pearl gourami has white dot on eyes, not ich or cloudy eye disease.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
Noticed on my biggest female gourami white spots on her eyes. Both eyes have them. Right in the centers. The spot is smaller on one eye than the other. Looks like its on the eye, protrudes a bit.

I looked up all kinds of fish diseases and can't find anything like this. I have read some other post while searching google with people with identical problems but with no actual facts or resolutions.

No other fish have it.

Its not cloudy eye as the physical symptoms are very different. Its not ich either 100% sure.

Any thoughts on what this is?

I hate not knowing what I am dealing with. I seem to having issues lately with different things on a few fish but very random.and nothing seems to add up. No fish deaths or nothing like that either.

I do a lot of WC in my tank and parameters are always good when I check them.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are there any other fish who might be aggressive toward her? I've seen in angelfish when they are being aggressive marks on the eyes from being attacked...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, no aggression in this tank.

No flashing that I have been able to see. If she moves the eye the spot moves with it.

If the spot moves it's internal?? Right? Don't they have a fixed lens over the eyeball?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly not sure.

Here are some pics.

Cataracts? It's very odd. Never seen that before... Is she acting normally?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is odd - I could find it in other threads but nobody seems to know what it is. In some cases it seemed to go away by itself.

Sooo, cataracts or something internal would that fit? Did the white spots develop slowly or quickly and both at the same time? How old is the fish? Are the edges of the white spot fuzzy or well defined?

I was thinking ich / flukes but that looks out. Doesn't look like cloudy eye. An injury is hard to imagine, ditto for fungal - do we all agree we can rule these out?

Also you mentioned there had been some other issues. Could you list along with ph, temp, nitrates, ammonia, etc?

Honestly not sure.

Here are some pics.

This is hopefully your answer my friend! I never had a problem in 5 years and when I moved to my new house in a different City the pH level was so low it caused my Angelfish's eyes to do the exact same thing....I tested the water and found it was under 6.0 and started adding the pH 7.0 neutralizer...it worked almost instantly; with in a week or two (which is instant for fish problems) all their eyes were completely back to clear!...if its not that... it is something else related to the water quality. ..cloudy eyes=poor water quality...and that doesn't nesrsaraly mean "cleanliness" but a problem with the water...good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1419732525916.jpg
    1419732525916.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 146
So to answer some questions, fish is approx 1.5-2 years old. She is very active and act perfectly fine otherwise. Seems that the dots appeared just recently, the last day or two.

My pH tap and tank are pretty much identical as I do water changes often and large. PH is 7.4-7.5

Tank is well established 9 months old. Nitrates are always low, maybe 5-10ppm. Currently its <5ppm

Ammo 0 and nitrites 0
GH and kh are normal around 6 and 7. All other fish show zero signs of anything.

As for the odd behaviors I been noticing with a few fish. Maybe 1.5-2 month ago I noticed one of my cardinal tetras color was off and breathing was rapid and stomach looked empty. Since then he has been fine. Color is back to normal, activity level is good and eating normally. Breathing still a little faster than normal, but only slightly.

My golden ram showed what might be hith symptom, over the past 20 days he has not gotten worse and was in med in a QT but nothing really changed. The little spot of white on his head seems to be healing.

My blue gourami was constipated for a few days.

About 3-4 months ago I found 1 dead cardinal floating, with zero signs of anything.

This concludes all abnormal stuff that's been happening. I should mention no new fish additions in a long time either.

Doesn't look fuzy, and not sure if one developed than another or at the same time. Very recent.

I am sure its not ich, or cloudy eyes disease. Not likely a parasite or eye flukes.

What do you feed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

NLS flakes, omega micro pellets, algae wafers, bloodworms, BBS, spinach, cucumber, zucchini, peas, some live bugs. Just bought NLS sinking pellets for community fish.

Doesn't look fuzy, and not sure if one developed than another or at the same time. Very recent.

I am sure its not ich, or cloudy eyes disease. Not likely a parasite or eye flukes.

Gee, that was quick to develop. I always thought cataracts took a long while to develop.

Can you tell if internal to eye or on top of eye? Maybe that will help.

Had anything been done in the last few days? Larger than normal water change or anything? Has the tank temp been stable?

Those pictures could have been taken of my pearl gourami!!!! I was just searching for information on this and came across your post. After Delapool's post, I am leaning towards fungus/cataracts as she had a minuscule spot of fungus on her tail just before the white spots appeared in her eyes (both of them) a couple of days ago.

Those pictures could have been taken of my pearl gourami!!!! I was just searching for information on this and came across your post. After Delapool's post, I am leaning towards fungus/cataracts as she had a minuscule spot of fungus on her tail just before the white spots appeared in her eyes (both of them) a couple of days ago.

Could you find anything much on this for cause or treatment? The threads I looked through were not helpful - nobody really knew.

I still haven't been able to find anything solid. I am leaning towards cataracts and I don't see any signs of fungus on any other fish or on the affected fish with other than the eyes.

I started treating the tank with pimafix on Saturday and been brining my temps up in the tank slowly 1 degree a day.

I did notice something on one of my.older Corys but not sure if its related or anything at all. I am watching my tank very closely lately. So long as nothing is getting worse I am not too concerned just yet.

Since dosing pimafix some fish have been caught flashing randomly. But nothing persistent.

I am sure there is something in the tank that's a little not right but nothing that's making anything obvious.

Fortunately all fish are eating still have great color and are all active.

I been doing 50% water changes every other day to ensure highest water quality.

Back
Top Bottom