Pearl gourami help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
(Skip to bottom to get to questions if you want lol)

I'm starting to think my tank is cursed with gill flukes or something and I'm starting to get really sick of it.

A couple months back I had started off with some new discus and they had gill flukes or something and it got out of hand. Constant flashing, hiding, not eating etc. I had a similar problem with the group of discus I keep before that. After my first lot of discus. I kept getting new fish that ended up with gill flukes or they would just randomly scratch/flash on objects in the tank. I had goldfish and then the second batch of discus and now the pearls.

Anyway, Once all those discus died (I seriously hit rock bottom in fish keeping) I decided to rid all the plants, ornaments, empty the tank water and really clean out the fish tank and filter. Then, I let it sit and dry out for 1 month and a half.

I started out by adding plants that came from plant only aquariums with NO snails etc. I monitored water parameters as I had a real problem with that last time to and I got it all good after just 4 weeks! At 5 weeks I added a small group of 6 penguin tetras to start off with and they are doing great! They do not scratch. They eat everything and are always active. Really don't have a problem with them.

It's the 6th week and I just bought a male and female pearl gourami 5 days ago. In the store I remember seeing the fish and thinking that they didn't seem that colourful? But I was so happy I finally found a male and female because they were so hard to find at this stage.

In my tank they seemed okay on the day I introduced them. But since the first full day to now. They have both been really pale in colour. They have been eating well. They eat frozen brineshrimp and bloodworm as well as a JBL pellet food.

So the pearls have been pale in colour and I have also noticed some flashing (hate that word now).

What the heck do I do? I am probably going to be rid of them as I do not want to risk my whole tank becoming infected again :( I know I shouldn't have really trusted the store I got the pearls from. They have sold me a fish with hole in the head? What the heck? It started out small on a honey gourami (it was one of my first fish).

I can't afford the prazi medicine because there is basically only one good type which is $50+ for 50ml in New Zealand and it's not even in the stores around where I live so I have to ship.

Just wondering, does anyone else have this problem?

What fish have very little chance of gill flukes etc?

Why am I constantly having to deal with this?

Can pearls live in sanded aquariums? Heard it can fade there colour because they like darker environments.

My water parameters are

pH: 6.8 (actually stays there now too)
Am: 0ppm
Tri: 0ppm
Tra: 5-10ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like you just need to start quarantining fish before introducing to the aquarium so you can monitor their health and behavior without infecting the rest of the tank.

Caleb

Okay I'll have to start looking into that. I have a spare 15 gallon that is bare bottom and have sponge filters and spare hang on back filters etc that I can use. Do I have to do this with every fish? I don't want to get a group of schooling fish and then have to leave them in the small tank with nothing for 4-5 weeks. If it's a fish like the pearl gourami I would be happy to do it but I don't know. I guess I'll just have to do what's safe for the big tank in the long run. I also think I shouldn't rush into buying fish and buy the things I actually need in preparation for the fish. I gotbetter at it this time but still need to work on that.

Thanks anyway!

Just also wondering.. Can you keep a Siamese fighter in a 100+ gallon planted aquarium? Not with the pearls of course.

Sounds like you might need to start ordering from reputable breeders.

Okay I'll have to start looking into that. I have a spare 15 gallon that is bare bottom and have sponge filters and spare hang on back filters etc that I can use. Do I have to do this with every fish? I don't want to get a group of schooling fish and then have to leave them in the small tank with nothing for 4-5 weeks. If it's a fish like the pearl gourami I would be happy to do it but I don't know. I guess I'll just have to do what's safe for the big tank in the long run. I also think I shouldn't rush into buying fish and buy the things I actually need in preparation for the fish. I gotbetter at it this time but still need to work on that.

Thanks anyway!

After reading this, I would do it with every fish. The LFS doesn't sound too great about keeping fish healthy.

Caleb

After reading this, I would do it with every fish. The LFS doesn't sound too great about keeping fish healthy.

Caleb

Yeah I know. There are two others and one is very caring about there aquatic life and I have actually never had a problem with them. But the better store is in a different city about 2 1/2 hours away so I can only rarely go there.

Sounds like it might be worth the trip though.

Just also wondering.. Can you keep a Siamese fighter in a 100+ gallon planted aquarium? Not with the pearls of course.

I have in a 50gal or so. I think it can be done if you pick your fish. The fighter I had picked on a 3 spot gourami three times his size and shortly after I had to rehome the fighter as the gourami decided an ongoing lesson was needed....

Otherwise with live bearers and loaches he was fine. All short fin fish though.

Sounds like it might be worth the trip though.

Yeah only it's not up to me. It's up to my parents. They usually don't want to travel far just for a fish or so. Although I would go every weekend haha. I'm only 15, don't have my license yet

The pearls past away today. I think it was for the better anyway. I am not restarting again because of gill flukes.

Thanks for the advice though! Feel free to leave more.

Awesome! I wish I would have known about this forum when I was 15... I didn't even know what it meant to cycle a tank until I was in my 30's. You'll get it all straightened out in no time. Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom