Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
mus
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pearl Gourami not eating

Hi there I recently purchased a pearl gourami and a golden gourami and already had an opaline gourami in my aquarium, I noticed that the opaline was attacking both of the gouramis + had found the pearl out of the water hooked on an ornamental light above the water level.

I noticed this the night i bought it and I thought that the pearl was dead and while attempting to remove it I realised that it had fallen back and was swimming again. (I was really happy)

I have given the aggresive opaline gourami to the lfs and there apears to be no aggresion, but the problem is noe the pearl is not eating and hasn't done for a while, it appears to be loosing colour and has a grey like appearance from the head back, please help

I have read that they wont eat if attacked or if the cant establish their own terrotory and have tried rearanging my tank, I also feed flakes + frozen bloodworms + have tried lettuce and cucumber (read from a few books) but it doesnt eat at all.

1. it has no other unusual behaviour apart from not eating + discolour
2. I think its a male
3. ammonia 0, nitrites 0 + regular water changes + declorinator. (guppy fry surviving in this water) temp 25-26 celcius
4. external filter fluval 205
5. other fish are fine (guppies + platies + swordtail + gourami + rt shark ) tank is not overstocked + it is well oxygenated and planted.
6. tank size 46g
7. it is not attacked by any other fish

Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Who advised you to keep multiple kinds of Gourami's? I wouldn't recommend it. It's like keeping two male betta's together.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shetland James View Post
Who advised you to keep multiple kinds of Gourami's? I wouldn't recommend it. It's like keeping two male betta's together.
+1
Gouramis are very territorial, especially with other Gouramis.
Along with, you never know what is going on in that tank while you are sleeping.
It sounds like extreme stress from a lot of harassment. If you have a QT, isolate him and see if he turns it around. If he does, you know he was being pick on. and you should return him to your LFS also.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Poor little guy! he's probably major stressed. I'd give him a couple days. And if you had a QT that would probably be best.

Tags
eat, eating, gourami, not eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com