Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pearl Gourami - Parasites, possible TB?

Over the weekend one of my female pearls started getting bloated. It didn't look too bad and she was acting normal, so I wasn't too concerned - looking up pictures seemed to match a female with eggs, but I kept my eye on her just in case. Later on I started to notice white stringy poop which, as far as I've read, meant internal parasites, especially with the bloating. Unfortunately no stores in my town or any around me sell PraziPro, so I went with Tetra Parasite Guard since it was the best option and have some PraziPro on order currently.

On Tuesday I did a 25% water change, removed the mechanical filter (leaving the bio filter), put in a new filter without the carbon and used the Parasite Guard as per the directions. Over Wednesday/today she has been acting normally again and eating well. Since 48 hours passed I did another 25% water change and re-dosed Parasite Guard, since I wasn't able to see any worms discharged/still some white poop/minor bloating, this is still proper according to the directions. I also replaced the other filter with another new, no carbon filter. After getting all that done I noticed she has a faint black spot on her back that I hadn't previously seen. After consulting a picture I took of her last week it is clear her colour has reduced, and I'm not sure if that spot was just hidden in the darkness of her back before.

Is anyone able to tell me if this is TB? Should I quarantine her?

Earlier picture:

Picture from this evening, complete with white stringy poop:

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

hi, i would not say this is really any disease maybe an internal bacterial infection such as dropsy. its very possible that the fish has TB but theres not much to worry about or do really.
you should try some metronidazole followed by levimasole, dont mess with meds that wont work like praziquentel.
you can order antibiotics, dewormers, and anti-protozoa medicated flake food at angelsplus.com under food, then flake, then medicated flake.
its possible it has worms as well, keep an eye on her
still eating and passing feces is a good sign.

Tags
gourami, parasite, parasites, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com