Pearl has lost appetite, 1 bulging eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Pearl Gourami has all but stopped eating. I noticed this morning as I was feeding that one eye looks completely normal, but the other is bulging, but not discolored. Looking at her head on, the bulge is clear.

Is this Pop-eye?

Do I quarantine, or do I treat the whole tank for whatever the malady is?

Thanks for any help, it's certainly appreciated.

EDIT: I came home for lunch. 0 nitrites and 20 Nitrates, so that's normal. Ph is right around 7 and the hardness around 8. I also bumped the temp from 78-79 to 80.

None of the Cardinal Tetras or Corydoras are acting different.

The Pearl still has her color, but the eye looks worse.

I would remove the fish and quarrantine, and watch the others carefully. It sounds like it could be TB, and you might not be able to treat it successfully. It could be dropsy, too, but you would probably see a distended body in that case, as well. Good luck!

Thanks, I already bought a heater and some Ampicillex. Now to get the temp up and see if this will work at all.

I kept much dirtier aquariums when I was younger, I thought I had my stuff together. I also thought my Cardinals would be the first fish to succumb to anything.

TB is something I'm not familiar with nor remember reading about at all other than once or twice here.

She's in quarantine. She still swims fine, breathing normal, but I noticed something more disturbing. On the pop-eye side, below the gill, but in front of her pectoral fin, it's quite red.

I can't get a good photo because she hangs out near the surface toward the back (always has) and the lighting is awful for photos.

Is there any need to do a little preventative treatment to my main tank (besides a water change)?

Sounds like a bacterial infection. I'd actually try a stronger antibiotic; something with oxytetracycline in it.

Back
Top Bottom