PH and fin rot problems - new to fish.... Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooops I read the results wrong.... note to self - don't do it at 6:30am in a rush before leaving for work!

pH - still 6.8
Ammonia - still basically zero (test has a very slight greeny tinge but is still really yellow)
Nitrite - I would say about 0.25
Nitrate - 5.0

I am doing a 50% water change now, adding conditioner to the water and bacteria stuff that helps to get rid of ammonia, nitrites etc. Might put some more stress coat in as well, but I'm not sure if I should be putting in heaps of stuff at once. His fins aren't getting any better.

ok that is much better. the nitrite is still high, but not nearly as bad as i thought. The 50% pwc should help get that on down to a safer level for the fish

Just tested my water again - two nights after the 50% water change:

Temp: 26 degrees celcius - I'm going to increase it to 27 degrees.
pH: 6.6 - getting a little acidic now
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: nearly 0

His fins are still quite straggly. No better, no worse. It's only been a few days since the water change. Maybe I should continue some kind of medication. I have Stress Coat, I've also got Multicure (however I think that only treats fungal, not bacterial???).

I'm thinking maybe the stress of the water temperature fluctuating every now and then with the hot weather we've been having.....
maybe he doesn't like the food I'm feeding him?? Feeding him flakes at the moment....
I've angled the filter outlet into the corner so there is now barely any current to stress him out.

Sounds like your tank is cycled! You want some nitrates remember. No need to change the water every day. I forgot how big your tank is, so if it's under 5 gallons, change 50% of the water twice a week. If it's bigger, once a week.
You can try using some stress coat, but clean water will heal his fins too. Are you noticing any clear on them? If you see that, that is the new growth.
You should switch to pellets, and soak them for about 5 minutes before you feed them to him. If he won't take them, try soaking them in some non-oily garlic juice. :)

It's about 7.5 gallons (28 litres).

I haven't noticed any clear growth yet.

I'll buy some pellets - I think he'd eat anything I give him... He practically eats from my finger!

It's exciting and a relief that my tank is cycled. Means once he's recovered I can think about more fish!

Ok what I've done is gotten a silk-like plant that has leaves up near the surface of the tank.

I've got him on a 7 day course of melafix

Everything is still normal.... I think I see some clear regrowth but am not too sure....

But today he's suddenly really skittish. Comes out when I put food in but if I put my face down near the tank he bolts to the back of the tank.

Very unlike him.

He might just be skittish because of going thru the cycle, and now being treated with meds. Or he could be afraid of the plant. Just give him a little time as long as he's eating and not just laying on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom