Ph and nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish in my 60 gallon have ick at the moment. So I have been slowly raising the temperature and also adding aquarium salt. I did a 30% change 3 days ago. Today I was going to do a 50%. They are seemingly a little better today with some ick remaining. But I know I need to stay diligent to remove the ich. My issue was two days ago as well as yesterday my ph was the regular at 8.1 and my nitrates were a bit high at 30ppm. But today before I did a change I did another test and my nitrates we're down to around 15ppm and My ph is at 7.4. Can the salt do that and heat? I'm real confused. And want to avoid fluctuations in my ph especially. Alsooo Idk if this is relevant or not. But when I do 50% water changes I add 5 gallons of to water to 25tap. Can RO water fluctuate ph as well? D: thank you!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My tank has been established for 2 years now. Idk if that's important to know. But I'm sure as much as info as possible is useful /:

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Treating "Ich"

Hello rees...

If you're sure your tank is infected, then obviously the water's bad and needs to be cleaned up asap. You need to be aggressive on the water changes. Change half every couple of days and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material if you can. Ich parasites will be living there. Heat is fine, but keep it to the low 80s, you don't want to damage plants. This will be enough heat to retard the growth of future parasites.

Salt is fine too. Again, keep the dose low, so the plants don't suffer. A couple of teaspoons for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is enough. Use standard aquarium salt. Add a filter that hangs on the back of the tank or an air stone attached to an air pump, to get oxygen into the water. Warmer water doesn't hold O2 as well as cool.

Back off feeding to just a little every couple of days. Sick fish usually aren't hungry and you don't want uneaten food to mess up the tank water.

Follow these steps until you see improvement. Then, change half the tank water weekly for the life of the tank. This will keep dissolved wastes from ever building up in the water and stressing the fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom