Pictus Cat with Bent Barbel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my pictus catfish has a bent barbel. Will this heal up? anyone had any experience with this b4?

thanks hutch

26gal
7 tiger barbs
2 pictus cats
1 clown pleco

Hutch,

I had to cut about 1/3 of a fin off my pictus cat, he had gotten it massively tangled in the net, and was ripping the skin around his fin 'joint' trying to get loose. He did just fine, took a while to get used to the missing part and for it to heal, but he did fine.

Is the barbel open, or just bent? If it's open, from what I understand (and did to mine), turn the temp up about 3 degrees and add a little salt to the tank, and add some StressCoat.

DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE HAS CONFIRMED IT THOUGH!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to do the caps, but didn't know how else to make it noticible. I would feel horrid if that didn't work for yours, and it died or something. Please, please PLEASE make sure that someone else confirms this before trying it!!!!

Best of wishes.

Do you know why the barbel is bent?

The barbel should grow back (may take a while) and if it appears healthy other than being bent, in that it is not accumulating white fuzziness or otherwise appears infected, it should be fine. I lower the water level and catch my cats by hand to avoid netting them, after one unpleasant incident with a cory cat and a net.

I would recommend Melafix if you want to treat the tank without using actual medication - I have seen it work wonders as a mild antiseptic to heal fin damage, so I imagine it would be helpful for barbels as well.

when i got my neons they were in there with tiger barbs. they were really shredded up. 2 weeks later with like 1-2 glugs of melafix just like new :)

Back
Top Bottom