pictus catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnytree23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I have a pictus catfish that i just purchased recently purchased at the pet store and he is doing great he's eating and swimming around awesome and not hiding. But I went the pet store and bought another one from the same tank and now the new one just stays in the corner. Also I have a baby tiger oscar and its so hard to feed the catfish because the oscar eats everything I throw in the tank. What should I do?? Thank you

Welcome to AA!

To give an accurate answer to you, we need to know a few things about your tank that might explain this behavior.

1. What size is your tank?
2. How long has it been set up?
3. Are there any other fish in the tank besides the tiger oscar and the 2 catfishes?
4. Do you know your water parameters? These are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. If you know them, can you post them? If not, I would suggest getting a liquid testing kit such as the API master test kit. It is accurate and much better than testing strips.
5. When was your last water change, and how much water did you change out?

If you can answer all or most of these questions, we'll be able to help you out no problem!

55 gallon tank, water is fine tested it today, I also have a red tail shark and a longnose whiptail. I did a water change on friday 20% but the new pictus came after that. All the other fish are great

Oh yeah he a a little bit of a belly to looks like he ate a lot.

Assuming your water parameters are fine, there's two possibilities. One is that the new pictus is simply stressed from the change in environment. The other is that it is getting bullied.

Oscars really don't do well in community tanks because they DO love to eat everything and anything!

In the long run, it might be best to re-home the oscar, as they will eat anything that will fit into their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom