Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question PimaFix & MelaFix bad for inverts?

Just dosed my 55gal with PimaFix and MelaFix to treat popeye and other random illnesses, and noticed my black mystery snail acting sickly. For a while he'd float across the top, then he fell down to the gravel, leaving this odd mucus trail all the way down. He's since been laying on the bottom, stretching out from his shell, spasmming, and then drawing back in. He's done this numerous times and I'm starting to worry. Is it common for these meds to harm inverts?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

not in my experience. i have 3 huge mystery snails (one black, one blue, one yellow) in my 150g and i dosed both over the course of two weeks every day.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. From what I could find, no indication that this stuff was bad for inverts but there's always things that real people know that online guides get wrong. I have a 1gal snail tank (turtle food) so I'm tempted to put him in there for a while, see if that helps at least until I'm done with meds. Guess it could just be a lousy coincidence - tank's been quite unlucky lately.

Also, saw on another forum that PimaFix may harm scaleless-fish, but the post was from 2005. Total BS or truth but the problem has been fixed?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i wouldnt think so... its just extracted from some kind of tea leaves or something like that...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used it with my loaches, and there was no problem. I read on their site that is was okay to use with scaleless ones.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks guys, that's what I expected - if the stuff would hurt a fairly large population of fish, should have pretty big warning label. Did move Escape (pronounced the way Dory says it) into my 1gal snail tank, with a bit of acclimating, so hopefully he'll be okay. Prolly wasn't the meds that caused his twitching but wasn't sure what else to do.

Tags
inverts, melafix, pimafix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com