Pineconing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanya40627

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need advice. My rescued Betta has recently developed pineconing he has had bloating for several weeks before I rescued him. He is still eating and swimming normally. Although he seems to be hiding and laying on the bottom a lot.

When do you know it is time to let him go. Should I try to save him or is the organ failure too far gone?

By the time a fish displays pineconing / Dropsy, the likely bacterial infection has done it's damage and a return to heath is unlikely. Usually a fish won't eat during Dropsy. It's possible the Betta is just severely constipated. Before putting the fish down, dont feed him for a few days. Maybe he will recover?

Sorry Tanya.

Thanks, he wasn't strong enough to overcome the poor aquarium conditions that his previous owner kept him in. At least he had a month of great care. He loved his upgraded tank I gave him. He went from a 1 gallon to a five gallon with a heater and filter. It's so sad he was such a beautiful Betta and he had an awesome personality. He would have been ideal for a community tank.

Thank you for your condolences.

What do I need to do to keep my moss ball healthy? I have no fish. Should I just run my tank and stock up on plants until I'm ready to get another Betta?

Another thing I was wondering....my 30 gallon is being returned to me soon. I thought about dividing it or maybe community tank with Betta compatible tankmates.

I am really interested having a low tech planted tank. Can I maintain the plants without fish. Also, how do I sterilize the tank and filter to prevent passing Buddy's illness onto to new fish.

I think it is probable that it was internal and maybe not contagious. But I wouldn't want it to be shared with plants being sent to the new tank. So sanitizing it might be a safe idea.

You can keep the moss ball and plants just fine in a tank with out fish by just feeding the tank fish food like there was a fish and if you have flake food it would be a good choice to use as they break down quickly and ammonia will help feed the plants.

I think it is probable that it was internal and maybe not contagious. But I wouldn't want it to be shared with plants being sent to the new tank. So sanitizing it might be a safe idea.

You can keep the moss ball and plants just fine in a tank with out fish by just feeding the tank fish food like there was a fish and if you have flake food it would be a good choice to use as they break down quickly and ammonia will help feed the plants.

Thank you I will use the flake food I have. Do I need to treat the plants incase it was contagious?

There are dipping things, and I wouldn't know for sure what might be best and safest for the best plant health.

Perhaps some one else can tell of a for sure option. Illnesses are not my best area, I am still learning.

You can easily start over with the filter. It will lose its BB. Bleach water dip, throw out all the media and run through the filter the bleach water.

This has some great info on cleaning things.

Back
Top Bottom