Pineconing Female Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today has not been one of my better days & to end it I come home, feed my female Bettas & notice my eldest & favorite is pine coning. She doesn't appear bloated & she did eat but she's pine coning. I've moved her from the community tank to a 10g QT tank. From what I've read online there's not really anything I can do is this true? All I have on hand is Pimafix, Melafix & Aq salt so I'm starting with those. I know the fixes are controversial, some say yes others say no. I'm open to suggestions. The water parameters are normal, 0 ammonia & nitrites, about 5 for nitrates. I do weekly 50%+ water changes, last one was last Friday. All the other fish appear fine . . . for now.

Attachments

• image-3283818830.jpg
    image-3283818830.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 555
  • image-3215052829.jpg
    image-3215052829.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 208
  • image-3540902304.jpg
    image-3540902304.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 218
Oh no! I hope she pulls through, warm clean water and calm surroundings. Good luck.

I had this happen to my female betta once before about 5years ago. She had dropsy and a big swollen tummy. I moved her into a quarantine tank and used Epsom salts and water changes everyday and fed her peas to help with the bloating. Amazingly she recovered and was fine for a few months untill it happened again and she didn't pull through :(. I don't remember how much I used of the salts and have read there's not much chance of them pulling through but it can happen. I really hope your little one makes it

Thank you marsh & skyla. From what I've read they can pull through but if they do it's likely to happen again just like you said skyla. This saddens me because she is my favorite & already survived my inexperience. :-/

I am so sorry! Do not add aq salt- this will put further stress on her kidneys (which are not functioning correctly right now) and increase the fluid retention which is already an issue. Epsom salts/magnesium sulfate can be used either in the tank or as a bath. You can trytreating metronidazole. A good lfs will carry it but petsmart/chain store typically carries API General Cure (mix metro & prazi). Unfortunately, the prognosis for a dropsied fish is not very positive.
:(

Oh I'm so sorry about your betta. I once had a female betta that I adored, but she got swim bladder and the worst case of fin rot I'd ever seen, and my efforts were useless so I had to just watch her rolling around on the ground until she died. It was terrible. I really hope your betta pulls through, she's beautiful.

She was not looking well when I left for work this morning, she was resting on the broad leafed silk plants. I am not hopeful she will still be alive when I get home this afternoon. :-(

shellieca said:
She was not looking well when I left for work this morning, she was resting on the broad leafed silk plants. I am not hopeful she will still be alive when I get home this afternoon. :-(

Hopefully she will pull through.

Bettafanatic said:
Hopefully she will pull through.

Well, not sure what's going on but she didn't much like the QT tank & improved as far as the pine coning. So after much deliberation with myself I moved her back to community tank yesterday. She is actually doing even better. She's swimming everywhere her appetite is 100%, her color is back & at times she still looks a little fuzzy around the edges due to slight pine coning but overall seems her old self. Very strange, I mean you can clearly see in the original pics I posted she was pine coning.

_skyla_ said:
Oh thats great news :) what did you use in the quarantine?

Well, before I knew I wasn't supposed to I had added some Aq salt & the ever controversial Pemafix & Melafix but I only did it once. I think she was stressed in the QT tank & is happy to be out of it because today she seems even more peppy. I just hope its not a temporary thing. :)

shellieca said:
Well, before I knew I wasn't supposed to I had added some Aq salt & the ever controversial Pemafix & Melafix but I only did it once. I think she was stressed in the QT tank & is happy to be out of it because today she seems even more peppy. I just hope its not a temporary thing. :)

She is back in QT. She has been pine coning worse the last couple of days & this morning I thought she had already passed as she was in the tank floor not moving. She finally came to the top, I scooped her I to my hand & have placed her into QT, its only a 1g because she is struggling a little. I added some Epsom salt but not sure I added the correct amount, 1/2 tsp premixed in a glass until dissolved, added 1/2 then later the other 1/2. She hasn't eaten today which is highly unusual for her. If she seems to be suffering more in the morning I'll seriously consider euthanasia. I'm so bummed, she's such a character.

That's too bad. I've got a betta myself that I have to consider euthanizing. So sorry about your fish. I was hoping she'd pull through.

Bettafanatic said:
That's too bad. I've got a betta myself that I have to consider euthanizing. So sorry about your fish. I was hoping she'd pull through.

Ahh sorry you have one not doing well. I hate when this happens because there's nothing you can do to make it better. At least with one of my 5 dogs I can take them to a vet if I can't treat it myself.

Ahh sorry you have one not doing well. I hate when this happens because there's nothing you can do to make it better. At least with one of my 5 dogs I can take them to a vet if I can't treat it myself.

My fish actually just died now. I guess that's what I get for forgetting about him. He was only in a 2.5g tank, and because of my new tanks and pure stupidity, I completely forgot I had him and forgot about his water changes. It's 100% my fault.

Sorry. I shouldn't be talking about my fish. This is your thread.

Bettafanatic said:
My fish actually just died now. I guess that's what I get for forgetting about him. He was only in a 2.5g tank, and because of my new tanks and pure stupidity, I completely forgot I had him and forgot about his water changes. It's 100% my fault.

Sorry. I shouldn't be talking about my fish. This is your thread.

That's OK. Sorry he didn't make it.

Bettafanatic said:
It's alright. I really hope yours does.

Sadly I just euthanized her. I hate having to make those kinds of decision. I don't know what happened, it appeared her one gill had exploded for lack of a better description, I just couldn't see her recovering from that in combination with what was causing her pine coning.

Sadly I just euthanized her. I hate having to make those kinds of decision. I don't know what happened, it appeared her one gill had exploded for lack of a better description, I just couldn't see her recovering from that in combination with what was causing her pine coning.

So sorry. I think it was the better option than having her suffer until the end.

Back
Top Bottom