Pink spot on High Finned Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site so just saying hello to get started lol.

So anyway my friend noticed today that my orange platy has a large pale pink spot on his side. I don't know if it's a form of ick or not (never seen ick). But i'm a bit worried since I've just recently got into the aquarium hobby since i was nine (that's almost ten years for me) and don't know all that much about fish diseases. I don't have a good camera to capture pictures of this bad boy so I'll just describe it again.

Orange with black fins, with a bit of red near the beginning of it's black tail. But on it's one side it just has a fairly large, clearly visible pale pink spot.

Also the other day I noticed my two gold barbs were bullying him and nibbling. And I also have a Red tailed shark, but he's really friendly and rarely picks on any of em. Anyone know what this is?

Welcome to AA :)

First off, can we have some more info about the tank? Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temp in numbers), size of tank, tankmates, any new additions, water changing schedule, and anything else you think may be relevant. the only thing that comes to my mind is columnaris. It can look like a white spot (which white on a red/orange fish can look pink), it could just be stress though. A picture would help, but if its not possible, its not possible.

Ah, man. I have these really crappy dipsticks. I plan on getting a master test kit when I get my next paycheck and a vacuum for water changes since i have no buckets now. My ammonia levels are apparently normal, and my nitrites are reading "caution" which is the first stage of bad nitirites on the test stick. I have another high fin platy two gold Barbs and a pleco and a Red tailed shark. But they're all peaceful to eachother. Should I attempt to quarantine the platy?

Btw I have had my tank for almost a month now, and I just bought these fish about a week and a half ago. Plan on 50% water change soon. I use nutrafin max for the water cycle and aqueon water conditioner.

He does hang out by the heater ALOT! And yeah the barbs were being huge jerks to him. His other High finned companion never gets teased though and shes a good size smaller.

Your tank has probably not cycled then. I would do water changes every day, or every other day, until you are able to get a liquid test kit. :) And keeping the water really clean will help your platy heal if it's a wound.
What size is your tank? :)
The only normal ammonia is 0.

Well the first haze just went away so i'm taking that as a good sign about the water quality, but yeah I'll do a water change tomorrow. I'm buying a better filter in a week as well. This one is a cheap piece...

In Rookies signature under his name, there is a link to cycling with fish, and I think it would be really good for you to read that, just to let you know what you will be dealing with for the next few weeks lol. :D
What kind of filter do you have on there right now?

Had to euthanise him today. I am a little kid at heart and dropped a few tears. Tried Melafix but it did not work, he instead became anti social and stopped eating. Part of his tail was missing, but it wasn't fin rot.... I guess I just picked the misfortunate fish outta the selection. Sad stuff.

Got another pleco and two blue platys in his stead. Also I bought the API master test kit. Those jungle strips deceived me. Water conditions are horrible. Two 50% water changes in two days. 25% tomorrow. Nitrites make me more stressed than the fish... :p

LOL, I know how you feel! I did 50% water changes every single day for 4 weeks.
Glad you got the liquid test kit! You will be a little mad scientist in no time! :D

Yeah man. The chemistry factor is making me wish I paid a little more attention in High School last year o_O

Oh, I TOTALLY agree! I had the HS science teacher come down to my house and tell me about the nitrogen cycle in "laymans terms." HAHA :D

Back
Top Bottom