platy acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolf0311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my platy has always been super active, but for the past week and a half hes been hiding behind a moss ball with clamped fins and ive only really seen him swimming around when its time to eat or if its right before i turn the light off. Ive noticed his color isnt as vibrant and im getting really worried. Water parameters are all fine, no new additions to the tank, what could be going on?

Clamped fins, fading and hiding are all symptoms of many troublesome issues. All fish have a pecking order, strongest to weakest. Perhaps a change occurred causing your platy to assume a weaker role. That happens often in cichlid communities. The weaker ones hide or are driven to an obscure part of the tank. Since no outward signs of disease were mentioned, possibly an internal parasite or bacterial infection. Recently several members have been treating these issues with garlic laced foods. Finally, in my tanks, at the first sign of trouble, I make a WC. I keep very clean tanks, but I change water anyway to dilute any pathogen population or chemical imbalance that might be causing problems. Hope this helps.

Clamped fins, fading and hiding are all symptoms of many troublesome issues. All fish have a pecking order, strongest to weakest. Perhaps a change occurred causing your platy to assume a weaker role. That happens often in cichlid communities. The weaker ones hide or are driven to an obscure part of the tank. Since no outward signs of disease were mentioned, possibly an internal parasite or bacterial infection. Recently several members have been treating these issues with garlic laced foods. Finally, in my tanks, at the first sign of trouble, I make a WC. I keep very clean tanks, but I change water anyway to dilute any pathogen population or chemical imbalance that might be causing problems. Hope this helps.

Hi - sound very similar to the issue I just posted! (See platy issue?)

Any help/further thoughts appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom